Thursday, October 12, 2023

Don't Fence Me In

I was finishing Old-Fashioned Girl when the clock suddenly went out. Turns out electricians had arrived early and unscheduled and turned the electricity off. I had to run errands anyway, so I went out to breakfast.

Strolled down West Clinton to the Common Grounds Coffee Shop. Several people already checked laptops at tables, mainly college students and local businessmen doing work in a quiet setting. I had a slice of pumpkin loaf bread, a slice of bacon, feta cheese, and spinach quiche, and a "Rosemary Apple Chai-der," Chai tea and apple cider with herbs chilled over ice. Oooh, yum! The drink was amazing, just the right blend of sweet and earthy. The quiche wasn't bad (there wasn't as much bacon as I would have liked), but the pumpkin loaf just tasted sweet.

Took the long way down Newton Avenue to Dollar General in order to enjoy the gorgeous day. The weather remains stunning, if a bit warmer, probably in the lower 70's. Maybe that's why Dollar General wasn't terribly busy. I bought toilet paper and bags of vampire teeth cute clips with jack o' lanterns and skeletons on them for the Mystery Bags, along with another bottle of Ultimate Coke Zero.

Thankfully, the electricity was on when I got in. Put on Night and Day as I got organized and had lunch. I go further into this 1946 extravaganza with Cary Grant as Cole Porter at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Worked on writing for a while. Richard explains that he'd been put back together by a kindly Munchkin scientist after he fell for the wrong woman. Her lover ordered the Warlock of the East to enchant his ax and have it cut off his limbs, then his body. He doesn't mind the loss of his brains so much, but he does wish he could feel more.

Hurried off to work and got there just in time. I was once again bagging, which I seem to be doing permanently now. Fine by me. I have a hard enough time dealing when the managers want me to do three or four different things at once, like gathering carts and sweeping and putting away cold items. Other than that, there were no major problems. 

Went straight home and into dinner and Match Game '79. Gene starts things off by mentioning that Fannie Flagg is writing her first novel (now known as Daisy Faye and the Miracle Man). Gary Burghoff and Avery Schriber are even happier to help the contestant figure out whom a super salesman sold Polygrip to and help the contestant with "Away __" in the Audience Match.

Finished the night after a shower with music on Hoopla. Sondheim at the Movies is a collection of songs he wrote for media other than the stage. It's actually a bit of a misnomer. Four of the last five songs are from the bizarre TV musical Evening Primrose...but they're some of his best lesser-known work, especially the lovely ballad "When" and the driving "If You Can Find Me, I'm Here." 

We get four songs from the comic-strip action movie Dick Tracy, of which my favorite is the touching "What Can You Lose?" There's also a new version of "The Glamorous Life" written for the film version of A Little Night's Music, two songs from the unproduced film musical Singing Out Loud, and two songs written for the 1996 remake of The Birdcage, one that made it in (the bluesy "Little Dream"), and one that didn't (the chorus routine "It Takes All Kinds"). 

No comments: