Sunday, October 01, 2023

Electric Eagles

Started off the morning with breakfast, The Solace of Bay Leaves, and Disc 1 from my Hear & Now: Jazz Vocalists collection. I picked this up from I believe a yard sale so long ago, I can't remember when or where. Songs like the driving "Everything Must Change" by Shirley Horn and a lovely version of "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Freddy Cole, "Temptation" by Diana Krall, and "Don't Worry About Me" by Joni Mitchell are the perfect backdrops for a quiet morning. My favorite number here is "In the Winelight," a sweet and sexy song by Kurt Elling.

Headed off to work just as the CD ended. Wish I hadn't. Work wasn't busy when I arrived or left, but it was a mess in between. Today is the first day of the month, the first early afternoon Eagles game of the season, and the first decent weather we've had in days. I was overwhelmed by annoying people who bought far more food than they could afford, then had to put half of it back, and those who still couldn't figure out their health care cards and had to ring up their orders bit by bit because they didn't know what they could buy with them. And I was twenty minutes late with my first break and lunch and almost an hour late with my second break. We were just that busy

(The Eagles had a somewhat better day than I did. They started out badly and were down 27-7 when I was on my lunch. By the time I finally got on my third break, I learned they'd made a major comeback to beat the Washington Commanders in overtime 34-31. The Eagles are one of two unbeaten teams in the NFL at the moment along with the 49ers.)

Went straight home and into the shower. Had dinner while watching tonight's Match Game Classics marathon. This one continued with more big wins from the nighttime episodes. It kicks off with Betty White helping a handsome young Naval officer with a big win in the Head-to-Head. In fact, there were a lot of officers in this marathon. The very next episode featured a Marines pilot; a Marines officer turned up in a later episode. One lady in a 1977 episode screamed so loudly after Richard revealed his correct Head-to-Head answer, viewers with headphones claimed she hurt their ears. Another episode with Eva Gabor and Bill Anderson was lost from 1977 until Buzzr unearthed it in February 2021. (Gene's comments to an Asian gentleman who says he was in World War II may have been part of the reason.)

Enjoy even more big wins in the nighttime in this wacky marathon!


Finished the night with the Electric Youth CD I picked up at the Goodwill on vacation. The CD was really scratched, and I wanted to make sure it would play. Thank heavens, it worked just fine. My sisters and I were huge fans of Debbie Gibson. Rose and Anny even had their own versions of the hat she wore, and I'm pretty sure we had the perfume, too. 

I played the cassette constantly from 1989 to 1991. Bouncy pop like "We Could Be Together" and driving dance numbers like the title song were the soundtrack to one of the most difficult times in my life. Knowing Gibson wasn't that much older than we were at the time made it even more like listening in on a friend's thoughts. "Lost In Your Eyes" was the big hit, but I always liked the touching "Silence Speaks a Thousand Words" and "No More Rhyme." 

No comments: