Monday, October 02, 2023

Harts In the Fall Heat

Began the morning with breakfast and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Linus insists that on Halloween night, the Great Pumpkin flies out of the most sincere pumpkin patch and gives gifts to all the good boys and girls. No one believes him but Sally, who spends her Halloween sitting with him in that sincere pumpkin patch. Meanwhile, Charlie Brown has trouble trick-or-treating and Snoopy gets ready for Veteran's Day as he fights the Red Baron.

Headed out to run errands next. First stop was PNC to use the ATM machine. There were long lines at the drive-through, so I used the indoor ATM. Went in, got my money, went out. 

It was a gorgeous, if warm, day for a ride. Sunny and hot for September, in the upper 70's. A cool breeze kept the ride bearable. The recent rain has done wonders for the gardens and trees. Everything is so green now. It felt great as I made my way across Collingswood, past Newton Lake Park and down Cuthbert to the Westmont Plaza. 

Once again was in and out of a few stores. Sprouts had the coconut milk I like, but many of the granola bars I like were gone or on clearance. I grabbed the kind peanut butter-chocolate drizzled bar. Picked up mouthwash and a large container of organic granola bars and a smaller one of Made Good berry granola bars at Target.

Had lunch at Westmont Bagel. I got to admire what remained of their sports memorabilia when I sat all the way in the back. Actually, the most fascinating item hanging on the wall was a print of what I presume to be the advertisement for the shop's opening day in 1993. Not only did I have no idea the shop went that far back, but it was interesting to see how they pushed the store when it debuted. Had a Diet Coke, a spinach omelet with crumbled feta, a six-grain bagel, and hash browns I didn't finish. Grabbed more bagels on the way out for breakfast this week.

Put on It's Magic, Charlie Brown when I got home and got organized. Snoopy reads a book on magic and puts on his own magic show. Most of the tricks don't go well, until he turns Charlie Brown invisible and forgets to change him back. Charlie Brown is despondent...but then he realizes Lucy can't yank the football away if she can't see him...

Listened to records while dusting, vacuuming, and sweeping my rooms. Stage and 20th Century Fox favorite Vivian Blaine recorded Songs from the Ziegfeld Follies in 1956. An attempt to resurrect the revue series in 1956 that didn't make it to Broadway (and one that did in 1957 but flopped) likely prompted this recording of some of the most popular songs from that famous stage revue series. She generally did better with heart-tugging ballads like "I Can't Get Started," "My Man," and "Suddenly" than with comic numbers like "You'd Be Surprised" or "Row Row Row." 

Switched to two more Fox blondes with the soundtracks for Rose of Washington Square and Footlight Serenade. I suspect this was a bootleg. The sleeve and record are plain, and all songs are taken directly from the film's soundtrack. Rose goes back further, as a film and in its setting. It also includes "My Man," along with "Rose of Washington Square." Serenade's big number is "Are You Kiddin'."

Did some writing next after taking the laundry downstairs. Joyce follows Rover to a tin man who looks suspiciously like Richard Dawson. He's also rusted solid. Charles is the one who finds his oil can.

I tried and tried to print a pumpkin muffin recipe I wanted to make. I reset and reset the printer. I turned it off and on and off and on again. I pulled the plug and put it back in. Nothing worked. It refused to print, even though it showed it was going to. It wouldn't print one of my stories when I tried that, too. 

Messing around with the printer took so long, I ran out of time to make the muffins. And of course, I forgot the burger rolls when I was out earlier. I had burgers on a bed of lettuce with bow tie pasta and Brussels sprouts. I don't think I cooked the burgers long enough. They kept falling apart on me. And of course, cooking them made a mess of me and of the stove. 

Put on Match Game '79 to cheer me up while I made my hasty dinner and threw the laundry in the dryer. The first one had a hapless golfer contestant who gave a very strange answer to what Fat Frieda looked like in a yellow dress. Charles Nelson Reilly sang his answer to "__ My Love" in the Audience Match (and did it very well, too). The second episode began with Betty White doing a stripping routine and ended with Gene Rayburn accidentally putting a word in the blank of a question and having to throw it out.

Finished the night on Tubi with Hart to Hart after I brought my laundry upstairs and put it away. Stamp collecting proves to be a "Hartless Hobby" when the Harts inadvertently come into possession of a rare and valuable stamp after visiting a gallery. A ruthless stamp collector (William Daniels) will do anything to get the stamp, including sending a hit man after the Harts. 

No comments: