Tuesday, October 17, 2023

The Music of Fall

Got some much-needed sleep again. Started off the day with a very small breakfast and Match Game '77. The first episode ended with a contestant performing a gospel number onstage. She had such a gorgeous voice, the panelists and audience ended up clapping along. Richard wasn't happy in the second show when producer Bobby Sherman refused to match his "toasted" with "warm buns"...and his frustration with his answer being rejected would explode in the next episode and the coming weeks...

Got organized, then headed out. I had planned on doing shopping in Collingswood, but first of all, I got a late start. It was past quarter after 1 when I locked my bike behind their Community Center. Second, thought it was sunny, windy, and fairly warm at that point, there were dark clouds coming up on the horizon. 

Since I didn't have much of a breakfast, I started with lunch at Sabrina's Cafe. Besides, they close at 3. They were still pretty busy when I walked in the door, but I managed to get a table between a mother and daughter and a couple of college-age gal pals. I had the same meal I did when I came here with Jessa a couple of months ago, half of the Cali-Turkey sandwich, a small cup of tomato bisque, and sweet potato fries. At least, that's what I originally ordered. They brought regular fries, but eventually came out with a bowl of sweet potato fries. Who am I to argue over free fries? Anyway, both the regular and sweet potato versions were so delicious, crispy and crunchy, that I was glad to try both.

Headed to Innergroove Records next. They were also busy for a Tuesday afternoon. I didn't really feel like spending an hour sitting on the floor, bent over their dollar bins. At least I found something good among the regular stacks. I've been looking for the soundtrack to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for years. It cost me $10, more than most of the albums in the store, but not too horrible. 

I did manage to dig something out of the dollar stacks. I figure The Life Treasury of Christmas goes along with The Time Life Book of Christmas I found back in August. There's a lot of older holiday music on this one, including a Gregorian chant, "Masters of This Hall," and "Huron Indian Carol."

Hurried across the street to the Collingswood Library to use the bathroom next. I didn't see anything interesting on the free books cart and moved on. Nothing I wanted at Haddon Culinary on the next block, either. 

Made my way down Atlantic Avenue and across a busy Cuthbert to the Krispy Kreme on the corner of Cuthbert and Haddon Avenues. Normally, on the rare occasion I want a doughnut, I get it from McMillan's Bakery down the street. Krispy Kreme was doing a Scooby Doo promotion, with the characters cut from chocolate and placed on spooky donuts done in purple and orange icing. I tried the cookies and cream-filled with deep purple icing, cookies and cream sprinkles, and a chocolate ghoul on the top. Not bad. Not as sweet as I figured it would be. Still not something I'd do all the time, though.

Headed across Haddon Avenue to Westmont next. Phildelity Records carries DVDs and CDs along with records. I did much better here. After nearly an hour of checking the $2 record crates and DVD shelves, I came up with: 

Son of Paleface on Kino Lorber DVD

Whitney: The Greatest Hits, a two-disc CD set

The original cast albums for the Irving Berlin show Miss Liberty and Jerry Herman's first major Broadway show Milk & Honey

The soundtrack for That's Dancing

Broadway Basie's Way -  Count Basie and His Orchestra

Sophisticated Lady - Music of Duke Ellington and Others

Went straight home and into Scared Stiff after that. I go further into this musical remake of The Ghost Breakers with Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, and in her last film, Carmen Miranda at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Broke at 7 PM for dinner and Match Game '79. Bill Daily, Joe Santos of The Rockford Files, and sweet Lorrie Mahaffey of Happy Days joined the regulars and Marcia Wallace here. Marcia spent a lot of the episodes trying to calm her goofy and excitable Bob Newhart Show co-star. In the second episode, Brett comes out to admire and straighten Gene's actually rather attractive gray and blue suit.

Finished the night online after a shower working on my review and watching Halloween specials. Disney Plus released Mickey & Friends: Trick or Treats earlier this month. This nifty stop-motion half-hour short depicts what happens when Donald convinces the rest of the crew to bother Witch Hazel from "Trick or Treat" one too many times. The grouchy witch finally turns them into their costumes. Daisy's not complaining about being a princess and Goofy enjoys floating around as a ghost, but Minnie can't handle her spider legs, Mickey isn't thrilled about his three monstrous eyes, and Don definitely doesn't like being a frog! The equally scary residents of Hazel's household help them gather what they need for the antidote.

Moved to YouTube for The Paul Lynde Halloween Special. This may be the most 70's piece of programming in existence. Lynde joins his housekeeper Margaret (Hamilton) at her sister's house. Turns out her sister is Billie "Witchiepoo" Hayes, Margaret is the Wicked Witch of the West, and the house is haunted. 

After Lynde is rejected by Miss Halloween (Betty White), the witches give him three wishes. He first imagines himself as a macho truck driver courting a waitress (Roz Kelly), with Tim Conway as his rival. His second wish has him as a sheik trying to court a frosty British lady (Florence Henderson). Conway is a member of the French Foreign Legion. The third wish belongs to the witches, who want a disco party right in their own house. In between, KISS plays "Detroit Rock City," "Beth," and "King of the Knight World" and the Osmonds annoy Lynde. 

If you love Lynde, KISS, or any of the above performers, or have been looking for a vintage Halloween variety special like the ones that used to turn up at Christmas, this is highly recommended and is just too wild for words. 

No comments: