Sunday, March 03, 2024

Almost Spring

Started off the morning with breakfast and the soundtrack from Funny Girl on CD. I've had this one for a while now. I actually like Streisand better here than on the original cast album. She sounds sharper, "Don't Rain On My Parade" is even more driving, and the random Ziegfeld chorus numbers and numbers for the people on her block have been eliminated. Omar Sharif sounds pretty decent on a very funny "You are Woman," too. 

My wrist is feeling much better, enough to ride my bike to work. It was too gorgeous to take Uber anyway. It was sunny, breezy, and already in the upper 40's by 9 AM. I didn't even need a heavy coat. We were a little busy in the morning, but it cleared out by noon. It was just too nice for shopping. I swept and pushed the carts on my own in the morning. The afternoon bagger came in at 12 and took over the sweeping and helped with the carts, which gave me a lot less to do. I put away items people didn't want a couple of times, just to do something.

I did get stuck cleaning up a nasty mess in the bathrooms. One of the managers gave me a $5 gift certificate for doing it. I was going to get a snack, but I decided to save it for grocery shopping later in the week.

When I finally got home, I changed, finished Funny Girl, and put on my soundtrack LP for Star! This take on the life of British stage star Gertrude Lawrence was a flop in 1968 and still isn't that well-regarded today, but it does have some good things. Julie Andrews really threw herself into Lawrence and songs like "Someone to Watch Over Me," "Someday I'll Find You," "Dear Little Girl," and her two numbers from Lady In the Dark, "My Ship" and "The Saga of Jenny." 

Finished the night with dinner and tonight's Match Game marathon. Apparently, there was a problem with the Greg Morris marathon MGP uploaded last October, so he re-released it. Mission: Impossible had just finished its seven-year run when Morris made his first appearance on Match Game in early 1974. He would be a semi-regular from 1974 through 1978, always appearing in the first male guest spot next to Brett. His affable good humor and decent answers made him one of the more popular men in that seat. He even bantered well with Gene when he made an off-the-cuff comment that was so un-PC, the episode is now banned.

He was also on the week after the one Valerie Bertanelli appeared on that was only recently re-run, sporting goofy oversized glasses in the opening of one episode. Roz Kelly joined in for her second week in 1977. There was also Marlena early in 1974, the sweetly goofy contestant who was so excited when Morey Amsterdam won for her, she lost her shoe when she ran over to thank him, and the week in 1976 with Price Is Right model Anitra Ford that Richard spent flirting with the gorgeous Darlene.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to enjoy this hilarious marathon featuring the tech man of Mission: Impossible and Vega$!

No comments: