Thursday, March 21, 2024

Three In the Wind

Overslept so much this morning, I barely had the time to write in my journal, grab my breakfast, and rush off to work. At least the weather was decent. It was much colder and gale-force windy, but it was also at least sunny. The threatening clouds that hung around yesterday had long since vanished. I dodged the wind and just barely got to work in time.

Not that anyone really noticed. We were dead the entire day again. I once again spent the morning sweeping and pushing carts. I even had the chance to gather the trash. There just wasn't that much to do. I was in and out with no trouble whatsoever. 

Soon as I got home, I changed and went down for a nap. I can't remember the last time I took one. Finally dropped off around quarter after three and didn't get up until after five. 

Went straight into The Color Purple from last Christmas after I finally rolled out of bed. I went further into the most recent version of the epic tale about the lives of three black women in the early 20th century south at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Applied for two jobs while I was on, a senior writing job with a company in Philly, and a secretarial job in Cherry Hill. I don't really think I have the qualifications for either, but wanted to try anyway.

Switched to the second Match Game Syndicated episode while eating leftovers for dinner. We're now at the week with Bart Braverman, Eva Gabor, and Betty White. The episode opens with Gene's rather amusing "Thought for the Day" and the contestant's joke about why her voice was hoarse. Charles does manage to get the last laugh with "__ Buckets" in the Head-to-Head.

Finished the night listening to some of my most recent record acquisitions. The World of Swing two disc set from 1974 is apparently supposed to accompany the book of the same name. I've never seen the book, but there's some terrific songs here, some of which are among the most famous of the swing era. Favorites from this one include "Stompin' at the Savoy" by Chick Webb and His Orchestra, "Where are You?" by one of the few female outfits, Mildred Bailey and Her Orchestra, "Ebony Silhouette" by Cab Calloway and His Orchestra, "Scarecrow" by Benny Goodman and His Orchestra, and "Beluah's Boogie" by Lionel Hampton and His Orchestra.

Slowed things down with Expressions, a K-Tel light rock collection from 1980. "Please Don't Go" by KC and the Sunshine Band seems like an odd choice, but most of the other songs on the album are soft ballads that are far more suited to the theme. I have fond early childhood memories of "A Little Bit More" by Dr. Hook, "Where Were You When I Was Falling In Love" by Lobo, "Still" by the Commodores, and "I'll Never Love This Way Again" by Dionne Warwick. 

No comments: