Saturday, March 23, 2024

Rain and Matches

Awoke to pouring rain that would continue in some form until late afternoon. Even when the rain finally ended, it continued to be gale-force windy. No doubt about it. I couldn't go anywhere in that mess. I stayed at home today. 

Watched Bugs Bunny's Easter Funnies and had breakfast when I finally got moving. The Easter Bunny gets sick, so Granny looks for a replacement among the Toons when Bugs proves to be too busy. Despite the tenuous Easter theme, this is really a showcase for some of Termite Terrace's Oscar-winning shorts, including bits of "Birds Anonymous," "Knighty Knight Bugs," and "For Scentimental Reasons." 

Quickly made the bed after breakfast and before a neighbor came to fix a light in my bedroom. After he left and the cartoon ended, I did some job searching. Applied as an inspections clerk in Willingboro, an e-commerce writer in Philly, and a copywriter for The Philadelphia Inquirer. Once again, I don't know if I'll get any of these, but I figured it was worth trying. (And I was turned down by Power Home Remodeling.)

After I finished, I put on Matilda: The Musical. I go further into this adaptation of the hit British stage show and Roald Dahl book at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Put on Here Comes Peter Cottontail after the movie ended. I went further into this at my blog in 2019, along with The Easter Bunny Is Coming to Town.


Finished the night at YouTube with the Match Game marathon. Comedienne and comedy writer Ann Elder had just come off appearing on and writing for the last few seasons of Laugh-In when she turned up on Match Game. She was one of the earliest women to be a hit in the sixth "comedienne" seat, and possibly one of the best players in that seat along with Betty White. She appeared fairly frequently from 1973 through late '74, with one last appearance in mid-'75. 

Ann's natural warmth - and tight sweaters and blouses that nearly matched Fannie Flagg's for how well they showed off her decollage - made her a favorite among panelists and viewers alike. She showed off the life-sized Emmy statue charm Richard Dawson gave her in one 1974 episode after she won a real Emmy for writing a Lily Tomlin comedy special. She saw a young gentleman with a huge Afro claim he wanted to become a game show host, and another with sideburns give some really interesting answers. In her last week, she got to meet Brett's very pretty grown daughter Leslie when she sat in the audience to watch her mother on the show - she basically looked like a redheaded version of her mother.

You couldn't write a better script than the off-the-cuff gags that come out of the mind of this sweet and very funny lady!

No comments: