Saturday, March 16, 2024

Luck of the Match

Began the morning with breakfast and the first half of Top O' the Morning. I go further into this comic thriller with Bing Crosby as an insurance investigator joining Irish cop Barry Fitzgerald to find the stolen Blarney Stone at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Headed off to work before the movie ended. The store wasn't really busy, but the floral department was. While the floral manager blew up balloons, I trimmed bouquets, dropped them in buckets, and set them out in the floral department. After she left, I added more streamers to the balloons she blew up earlier to make them "deluxe." 

I just wish I was better at talking to people. I don't know what to tell them when the floral department manager isn't there. I'm still nervous about blowing up balloons, and I don't know how to handle complaints. One lady fussed over wanting a rose in a vase that was in perfect shape, with a perfectly tied ribbon rather than the partial loops we're supposed to make with the satin ribbon. People come in asking for ribbons to add to their bouquets and to blow up balloons that aren't even ours. I stammer and stutter and have no idea what to say. 

I was still pretty annoyed with that lady later. After I finished the balloons, I had just enough time to make one of those single roses in a vase with rocks on the bottom. I even did it in yellow to replace the one she'd whined about. And yes, I tied the most perfect darn bow I could manage. Grabbed a half-off loaf of Irish Soda Bread on the way out. 

Wanted to stop at Heartbeat Nutrition in Oaklyn on the way home for a milkshake. Turns out they're now open every day except Tuesday and Wednesday, but only until 3. I ended up back at a busy Common Grounds Coffee House to try something else off their March menu. The elderflower chai did taste of flowers and spice, but it was otherwise way beyond too sweet! Way too much honey or agave sweetener, I think.

Soon as I got home, I opened a huge box I found on the porch this morning. I hadn't ordered anything. Turns out it's my Easter present from Mom. She sent me a big box of breakfast goodies from an online company called Wolferman's Bakery. It came with a small Lemon Raspberry Bread loaf, a bag of blueberry English muffins, two big cranberry scones, and enormous cinnamon rolls that could be used as flotation devices if we get any more torrential storms. I'm going to be having some great breakfasts for at least the next two weeks. I texted her soon as I opened it and thanked her for the wonderful gift!

There wasn't much around for dinner, so I changed and went back out. Grabbed a tilapia sandwich with fries and a can of Diet Pepsi from Crown Chicken and Gyro around the corner on the White Horse Pike. It was only about quarter of 5, so they weren't busy other than one guy with a towering head of braids eating at a table.

Went home and ate while watching the rest of Top O' the Morning, then took a shower. Finished the night back at YouTube with the Match Game Saturday Classics marathon. It was all about the luck of the draw as we saw contestants who had extremely lucky wins, or brought something with them for good luck. In addition to the lady from the Buzzr episode earlier in the week who brought that Buddha statue, Gene took a 2 dollar bill from a lady who brought that for luck. An especially pretty young woman brought a tiny bear. 

Of course, luck comes in other forms besides physical talismans. Sometimes, contestants on the show just got plain lucky. More often than not, Richard Dawson was involved. As one young woman pointed out, she and her friends pretty much believed Richard was psychic...and considering some of the answers he managed to pull off the top of his head, I wonder if they might have something. There was also the episode of Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour where the contestant chose Nancy Stafford, who just happened to have the big 30 to give her 30,000. 

Discover all the ways you can get lucky in this winning marathon! 


Ended the night celebrating St. Patrick's Day and the start of spring on Tuesday with Lawrence Welk. Welk was German, but several of his singers had Irish heritages, and even those who didn't could pull off an Irish ballad or two.The entire crew started off with "It's a Great Day for the Irish" from the Judy Garland vehicle Little Nellie Kelly. I like Bobby Burgess and Barbara Boylen doing a charming Irish reel and Mary Lou Metzinger and Jack Imel telling one and all "If You're Irish, Come Into the Parlor."  Joe Feeney specialized in Irish ballads like "Dear Land Across the Irish Sea." I have no idea why they had Norma Zimmer sing "Hi Lilli, Hi Lo," which is actually from a movie set in France, not Ireland. Ava Barber's "Harrigan" and Anacani's "Shamrocks, Shelailghs, and Shenanigans" made more sense. 

The other big event this week is the spring equinox. Lawrence Welk honored the return of warmer weather with this 1977 episode. Feeney returns here with "The Sweetheart Tree." Tanya Falen sings about how "Spring Will Be a Little Late This Year." Kathie Sullivan also has a sad lament, "Spring Is Here." Arthur Duncan's flying feet remind everyone to "Keep Your Sunny Side Up," while Mary Lou, Gail Farrell, and Sandi Griffiths are "Walkin' In the Sunshine." The ladies join Jimmy Roberts as he sings about "Springtime In the Rockies." Roger Williams was the special guest this week and got to play two of his biggest hits, the out-of-season "Autumn Leaves" and the somewhat more appropriate "The Impossible Dream." 

If you're Irish, German, or anything in between, come into the parlor and enjoy the start of Spring and St. Patrick's Day weekend with Lawrence Welk and his musical family!

No comments: