Thursday, September 17, 2026

Finding Home

Kicked off the morning with breakfast and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. Daniel celebrates Grandparent's Day in "Daniel's Grrific Grandpere." He's disappointed when the tide is too low to take his Grandpere's boat out, but Grandpere shows him all of the wonderful treasures that can be found on the beach at low tide. Dan and Jodie love "Making Mozies With Nana." Nana shows them how to replace the chocolate chips with raisins when you're out of chocolate chips and decorate boxes to give them to everyone in the neighborhood.

I went online to look up the remaining material I needed for Clarifi...or tried to. I've been looking for the quarterly statement for my investment account on PNC and couldn't find it, no matter how much I checked or looked back in the archives. I ended up writing the information down instead. 

Listened to Phil Collins while I worked. Apparently, Dance Into the Light was not a huge success in 1996, either as a CD or in its two singles. Considering how often the title song and "It's In Your Eyes" turned up on the radio in the late 90's, I find that kind of hard to believe. Many of the other songs take more of a world music bent, like "The Same Moon," "Lorenzo," and "Just Another Story." 

Called Uber around 11:25. Even leaving later than planned at the start of the lunch rush hour, I got an Uber driver who came in 5 minutes. There was some traffic in Haddonfield, but I still got there on time. Clarifi turned out to be in one of the office buildings next to the Cherry Hill Library on King's Highway. Once the Uber driver dropped me off, I had no trouble finding the elevator and then their office. Their door was locked, but they had a bell, and Donna the housing counselor let me in.

In good news, she praised my good credit score (over 800!) and that I saved as much as I did and did as much as I have on my own. The bad news is...even two incomes aren't enough to buy a condo in an expensive state. I genuinely do like her idea about looking into Habitat for Humanity and talking to them. I'll do the research next week and try reaching out after I get back from vacation. I still don't like the idea of getting on waiting lists, though. I don't want to live in an attic forever. Some waiting lists take years before something is available. She suggested getting on a rental list, too, even though I tried to tell her how badly I want to own my own home. I want something that is mine, that'll never be taken from me again. I'll look at the waiting lists after vacation.

Went next-door to the Cherry Hill Library after my appointment ended. The office building is set pretty far off the street behind another building. I thought the library would be easier to find. Called Uber after I went to the bathroom. They arrived in 10 minutes, giving me enough time to grab a Diet Coke from the soda vending machine in the library.

I got home at quarter of 2. That was barely enough time to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, grab my water bottle, and hurry back out on my bike. I ended up being five minutes late to Thomas Sharp. Not a good thing at all. The head teacher had other things she needed to do today and tomorrow and won't be around to help out. The kids were crazy before, during, and after snack time. They just wouldn't listen. 

They did a little better when we finally got them outside. It was cloudy earlier in the day, and even showered a little bit when I was riding down the White Horse Pike. By 3:30 when we got the kids out, it was sunny, hot, and humid. Many of them stayed under the trees, calling out to joggers and dog walkers, turning ivy leaves into rings, and looking for ladybugs in the mulch. There was some squabbling over the swings later, but they all eventually got at least one turn, and most of them got two or three. They had so much fun, the remaining two teachers were taking the last remaining boy to the blacktop to play with the five remaining older kids as I left.

Went straight into The Price Is Right when I came home. The regular Showcase had games as a theme, including a pinball machine, a nifty curved TV, and a trip to Las Vegas. The big "theme" Showcase was the models helping Johnny Olsen go back to college. The "prizes" were their gifts to him, including a gorgeous roll top desk, a stereo that reminded me of my mother's in the 80's, and a car. The lady who went with the college package went over. The other lady got her Vegas vacation.

Stuck around for Match Game '76. Nipsey Russell and Dr. Joyce Brothers saw the excitable young lady who won yesterday have trouble with "Denver __" on the head-to-head. The next two winners did better, including a charming young woman named Maggie Smith (no relation to the English actress).

Finished the night with Dancing Pirate at Tubi. I go further into this unique swasbuckling musical, the first musical film in three-strip Technicolor, at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 

No comments: