Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Sleepy Day In the Rain

Began the morning with breakfast and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. "Daniel Visits School" and worries that they won't have the things he loves, so he brings his drum, a book, and his favorite block along with his stuffed tiger Tigey. As it turns out, Teacher Harriet shows him that yes, they have musical instruments, blocks, and books for him to read...but he's still welcome to bring Tigey. "Daniel Visits the Doctor" for a check-up and a shot. Doctor Anna and his mother talk him through each step, making sure he knows what's going on and that, other than a little pinch on the shot, it won't hurt him.

Headed out to work after the cartoon ended. No problems here. I arrived on time. It was quiet all morning, despite it being the beginning of the month. Everyone must be waiting for Labor Day Weekend. It didn't start picking up until noon, and I was almost done by then anyway. The weather didn't help. It was cool, cloudy, and thickly humid. 

I originally wanted to pick up a stuffed pretzel for lunch, but it turns out that A&A Pretzel Shop on the White Horse Pike is closed for their own summer break. I doubled back and had lunch at Common Grounds Coffee House instead. Enjoyed a chai latte (slightly spicier and less sweet this time, slice of crumb cake, and slice of spinach-feta-tomato quiche while watching a mother and her three children try to decide what treats they wanted. 

Maybe I shouldn't have doubled back. It started to shower heavily the moment I stepped out of Common Grounds. Good thing I wasn't that far from home. I just rode back across Oaklyn and got wet.

Dried off when I got home, changed, and went down for a much-needed nap. I won't have time for many naps after school starts tomorrow! Settled down in bed at 2 PM and didn't get up until almost 5. 

Watched Remember WENN after I finally rolled out of bed. "You've Met Your Match" is WENN's proto-Love Connection dating game. Hilary wants to get a date on the show and make Jeff jealous, but her plans backfire when Maple suggests they all go on the show. Jeff uses Betty to make Hilary jealous, only to upset her even more, while Scott has to explain to Betty that his relationship with Maple is long done. The other dates go much smoother. Mr. Eldridge and Gertie always enjoy each other's company. Maple's delighted to be in the arms of a slightly bemused Victor. Mr. Foley and Eugenia have so much fun on their date, they're the last to come back!

"And If I Die Before I Sleep" is my favorite episode of the entire show. Victor turns Betty's enormous blending of Shakespeare's Italian-set plays into a mammoth 52-hour, three-day marathon to beat the record set by a station in Philadelphia. Scott's suspicious of Charles Abernathy (John Ratzenberger) and Nurse Brumpton (Marceline Hugot) when the coffee they keep drinking does nothing to stay awake. The others do everything they can to keep from falling asleep, including Betty somehow passing out horizontal on a chair. It's Victor, Mr. Eldridge, Gertie, and a sick Maple who finally catch them in the act...and figure out who they're really working for.

Switched to Match Game '76 after dinner. They finished out the week with Soupy Sales and Madelyn Rhue as Brett complained about there being two men on the upper tier not wearing socks. (Apparently, Soupy didn't wear them, either.) Ron Pallio of Welcome Back, Kotter joined in the next week, along with sweet Joyce Bulifant and crusty Mary Wickes.

Watched Paw Patrol at Paramount Plus next. "Pups Save the School Day" when they all help Alex find his lost red backpack and who snitched his tuna fish sandwich. "Pups Turn Off the Lights" when they're setting up for Chase's birthday party and one of the wind turbines outside of Adventure Bay breaks. While Chase directs traffic and Marshal and Rocky help Ryder fix the turbine, the others find party games they can play in the dark.

Stayed at Paramount Plus to finish the night with The Love Boat. A couple celebrating their 20th anniversary (Lynn Redgrave and Robert Mandan) argue when "The Anniversary Gift" turns out to be her desire for a baby. Gopher's not saying "Honey Bee Mine" when Julie claims he's her boyfriend to keep her from chasing her current boyfriend, a ship officer (Richard Bergman). Captain Steubling is "Bewigged, Bothered, and Bewildered" and wears a toupee around his old high school classmate (Phyllis Diller). He finally finds the best way to be himself at a movie star-costume party where he shows up as one of the coolest bald men ever, Yul Brunner. 

(Oh, and I'm guessing the rain must have slowed down shortly after I got home. It was long gone by the time I finished my nap. It only just started pouring again.)

No comments: