Called Uber after that. No trouble here today at all. The first driver arrived in 9 minutes. I got to the Acme just in time. I called the second driver early. They arrived in 8 minutes and got me to Thomas Sharp School more than 20 minutes before my shift started. The one going home, to my surprise, came in 5 minutes during the height of rush hour.
The Acme wasn't much of a problem, either. It's the middle of the week and the middle of a relatively calm month. We were quiet until around noon, by which time a college boy was sent out to help me with the carts and trash. I mostly spent the morning sweeping and pushing carts with no trouble whatsoever.
I hadn't had lunch at Rexy's in ages, so I went across the street next. They too have a new fixed price lunch menu, $20 for an entree, dessert, a drink, and soup or salad. I went with an enormous fried cod sandwich with Asian slaw, huge but slightly bland onion rings, iced tea, and the most delicious bowl of broccoli cheddar soup I'd ever tasted. It was topped with sour cream, croutons, and more shaved cheddar. Thick, rich, and decadent. The tiramisu was more disappointing. They said it was homemade, but the middle tasted frozen. It must have been in the freezer with the scoop of orange sorbet before they brought it to me and they didn't give it time to defrost all the way.
After I got to Thomas Sharp, I relaxed at the curved stone wall surrounding a tree and a small garden before going inside to start my shift. The kids were in the hall again when I came in, but at least they weren't out there for long. We had 19 kids today, 7 at my table. There was no trouble in the bathroom - in fact, they got in and out pretty fast. They did get noisy in the cafeteria, but they weren't there for very long. Soon as they all finished eating, we took them outside.
That didn't work out the way it has the past two days. Though it remains sunny, it was a little warmer and slightly more humid, in the lower 80's, with barely any wind. The kids gathered under the shady trees, looking for ladybugs and digging into its bark to find more bugs. I waited a half-hour to let them on the swings. It didn't help much. All they did the entire time was fight over who got to swing with whom. At least they all had their turns by 4:30, when we finally took them inside to color pictures of unicorns and the Avengers. I finished the picture of Joker-Pruitt, Shadow Man Scott, Lunar Lady Maple, and Power Girl Betty fighting against an urban landscape, then did one of Mr. Eldridge, Gertie, Lady Voltage Hilary, and Magnetic Boy C.J.
Went straight into The Price Is Right when I got home after I took out the recycling. Once again, the Showcases were a tad on the chintzy side for this show. The regular Showcase was just a game table, dining room furniture, and china. The "story" Showcase had a prize for each of the four seasons. Dian's summer dune buggy was the big prize there.
Let it continue into Match Game '76 after dinner. Eager Jimmie Walker and sassy Roz Kelly joined Betty White and the others for one of the funnier weeks of the year. Brett spent one episode teasing Betty about her lime-green peasant blouse, calling her a Swiss Miss. Roz wasn't too happy about a question that said what she'd do when Fonzie called for her. (One of the reasons she left the show was she most definitely wasn't the type of girl who came when called.) There was also the hilariously effervescent contestant who clung so hard to Gene when she won, he had to reach around her to shake the other contestant's hand. Richard got a little too into kissing her after she won the Audience Match. Roz grabbed Gene for a kiss, and Betty somehow ended up with announcer Johnny Olsen.
Finished the night at Tubi with The Scarlet Pimpernel. The version I watched is from the anthology DuPont Show of the Month from 1960. Maureen O'Hara is Marguerite, Michael Rennie is Sir Percy Blakney, Reginald Denny is Chauvelain, and a young William Shatner is Sir Andrew. The first half honestly sticks to the original story very well, slightly revising how Marguerite finds out what her husband is up to. The second half is more condensed, ending with Percy tricking Chauvelain and replacing his men with the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel at the Inn rather than following him in disguise.
I wish the copy here was in better shape, because this wasn't bad. Rennie was a tad stiff, but Shatner was charming and O'Hara was a wonderful, fiery Marguerite. I don't know if this is the first version of this story I'd seek out, but if you love O'Hara or secret identity swashbucklers or want to see a different side of Shatner, it's worth checking out once.
No comments:
Post a Comment