Friday, September 25, 2026

Loose In Oaklyn

Began the morning with breakfast and Paw Patrol. "Pups Save a Tour Bus" when the junker Mayor Humdinger bought to trick tourists into visiting Soggy Bottom goes out of control, thanks to his malfunctioning robot cat driver. Marshall ends up having to save Humdinger, the farmers, and Rocky too when he can't fix the steering wheel on the bus. Alex accidentally wreaks havoc during a sleepover at the Adventure Bay Museum, knocking over silver bowls and suits of armor. He goes out to find what he thinks his his turtle friend, but gets lost. "Pups Save Midnight at the Museum" when they have to find Alex and help Mayor Goodway and the two kids who got stuck after Alex knocked over a heavy urn.

Headed out after that. I had a lot of errands to run today before I leave for Pittsfield tomorrow! Got mini bottles of shampoo and conditioner at Target. They had Crest Gum Protection toothpaste on a really good sale, too. Grabbed oat milk and buy one, get one half-off granola bars at Sprouts. Sprouts has these awesome lunch bags that come with chips, a bottle of applesauce, a sandwich, and a small bottle of water, and a chocolate chip cookie. I got the one with the turkey on whole wheat bread. Got yogurt, tuna, and soda for when I come back, and small bags of nuts and puffcorn for the trip tomorrow. My niece Aurora and friend Amanda have birthdays October 1st. I bought cards and gift cards for them. 

Cut through Collingswood and Newton Lake Park riding home to avoid the ongoing construction work at Cuthbert. The park is still lush and green, probably the result of all the rain we've had lately. I could feel the cool spray being blown over from the glittering fountains in the lake, hear the wind rustling though the trees. I pushed my bike over the hill, which is still fairly moist from the damp weather. 

When I got home, I ran Loose In London while I put the groceries away, packed most of what will go in my backpack, and prepared the cards and my mail-in vote ballot. Slip Mahoney (Leo Gorcey) scolds his friend Sach (Huntz Hall) and soda shop proprietor Louie Dumbrowski (Bernard Gorcey) for making bad deals. When a man shows up claiming he's a solicitor, he thinks it's one more bad deal. Far from it. He's a British lawyer who says Sach is distantly related to the wealthy Earl of Walsingham (Walter Kingsford). Sach trades in his first-class steamship ticket for three more to bring along Slip and their younger buddies Chuck (David Gorcey) and Butch (Bennie Bartlett). Louie joins them on the ship and accidentally ends up stowing away. 

The Boys are not well-received when they make it across the Atlantic. The Earl's relatives are a conniving lot who want his money and holdings and care nothing for him. Sach encourages the Earl to trade his medicine for cookies and start to enjoy life. That upsets the relatives even more. They try several none-too-discreet attempts to kill Sach or seduce the money out of him, but he avoids them. Slip, however, is getting the idea that something ain't right here, especially when the Earl announces he's going to change his will to make Sach the sole heir, then vanishes.

This is one of my favorite later Bowery Boys movies, and by far my favorite of the five movies they did set in more exotic locations like the jungle or Paris. Kingsford is having just as much fun as the boys, so much that Slip isn't the only one wondering at the end if he and Sach aren't related after all. They also get the most out of the fish out of water gags, including how Sach knows so much information about London landmarks and the fox head on the wall that keeps biting him. Probably not the best place to start if you're new to the Bowery, but it's fun for fans.

Even after all that, I still left early enough to drop the ballot and the cards at the Oaklyn Post Office before heading down to the Thomas Sharp School. Not that I needed to be early there, either. We had 17 kids today, five of whom left well before we went outside. Not that we were inside for very long. Though it remained gale-force windy, it was also in and out sunny and much warmer, in the lower 70's. We took the kids out at 3:30 and didn't bring them back in until past 5...and even then, the remaining three kids opted to go right back out and play kickball and jump rope on the blacktop with the seven remaining older kids. There was some squabbling over the swings again, but most of the kids who wanted a turn got at least one. There were four older kids and just one younger kid left when my shift ended. 

Instead of continuing down the White Horse Pike, I turned at CVS and rode into Oaklyn for the last Final Friday block party of the season. They were already booming when I pulled up to West Clinton. Though the food trucks looked tasty, I opted for cheaper slices of cheese and mushroom pizza at Phillies Phatties instead. Maybe I should have eaten outside. There was a gaggle of elementary school-age boys sitting at the next table over me who were so noisy and excited, even the guys making the pizza told them to shush. I could barely hear the weather news on Telemundo over them. 

There were even more food booths on the parking lot across from Tonewood Brewery. Ran into one of the boys who sits at my table and his mom just after I bought a coconut pop from the Bubba's Creamery cart. They bought hot dogs from the barbecue truck and were waiting for their meals. That little guy sure could bust a move! He really enjoyed dancing to the local band playing covers of 80's hits. I waved good-bye to them as they went to get their dinner and I finished my own treat.

Took the laundry downstairs to get that out of the way when I got home, then put on Match Game '77. They once again skipped way ahead, this time to the week with Nipsey Russell and soap star Rosemary Forsyth. The last episode of the night introduced playwright Abe Burrows and a lot of jokes about Brett and Charles wanting to be writers, too. 

Finished the night at Pluto TV with Laverne & Shirley after I brought my laundry upstairs and finished all the packing I can do for now. They're excited to be ambassadors to the new Shotz Brewery in Canada and taking their first cross-country train trip. Their delight turns to fear quickly when a dead mall collapses in their apartment, claiming "Beware of the bald man." 

It turns into "Murder On the Moosejaw Express" when everyone on the train seems to be bald. They even enlist Squiggy and Lenny, who are dressed as their idea of detectives. Laverne ends up panicking when first the dead man vanishes, then Shirley, then the guys. Shirley does turn up, afraid but largely unharmed, but the guys and the dead man don't. It's up to the girls to find out who the "bald man" really is and make sure the microfilm he stole makes it into the right hands. 

No comments: