Thursday, September 06, 2007

I Just Can't Wait To Be King

I did my volunteering and had my counseling appointment today. The thrift shop was packed, with people and with STUFF! There were apparently some massive donations on Tuesday, including giant boxes of stuffed animals and children's books. I bought three Golden Books for me (the classic version of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and a more modern "Nutcracker," along with an adorable 50s-looking "Mickey Mouse's Picnic") and two Golden Books each for my 3-year-old nephew Skylar and 2-year-old cousin Karen. Children should learn the magic of Golden Books early.

I also picked up two American Girls books for myself ("Meet Kirsten" and "Addy Learns A Lesson") and learned at Borders in Philadelphia there's a brand-new American Girl - Julie, a tough, sassy, basketball-loving girl who joins the boys' team in 1974 San Fransisco. Julie looks cool - I can't wait until they put out more books and the dolls for her!

I also discovered a few weeks ago that not only is the next American Girls movie for my favorite of all the historical characters, Kit, but it'll be released to the big screen instead of to TV like the first three. AND it stars Abigail Breslin, who was so wonderful in "Little Miss Sunshine" last year. I don't care if I'm the oldest girl in the theater - I'll be first in line!

(Ooh, and they still have the paper dolls! I miss my American Girls paper dolls. I had Samantha and Molly and shared Addy with my sister Anny. I wonder how weird it would look for a 28-year-old woman to be buying paper dolls...)

I was more frugal with the stuffed animals. As much as I love stuffed animals, my bed's getting a little crowded! However, I couldn't resist an adorable pair of Simba and Nala toys whose noses are magnetized to make them look like they're "kissing."

Counseling went better than it did a few weeks ago, mostly because I actually showed up on time. Scott and I talked about my frustrations over my job hunt and long hours, and about Mom and Dad's move impending move and my fears of spending the holidays alone.

I tried to make my Philadelphia trip quick this time, but I couldn't help lingering at Borders. I was better in Barnes and Noble. I just ate at the cafe on the second floor, filled out an application, and told the girl at the information desk that I really, really wanted a job there and was desperate to get out of my current job. She seemed really nice, especially after I told her it's been almost a year since I put in my first application for that store with no luck. She said she'd put my application on the top of the pile.

No comments: