Monday, September 03, 2007

After The Boys Of Summer Have Gone

Well, that's it, folks. Today's Labor Day, the unofficial end of the summer in the US (and, I believe, Canada). All and all, it wasn't the best summer of my life, but it was better than last year. The knee injury wasn't quite as nasty, we had fewer long stretches of very hot weather, and I mostly had better hours at the Acme.

Best Of Summer: My vacation in New England (still fun even with the rain) and seeing the wonderfully energetic Hairspray with Lauren during that vacation.

My ride to Haddon Heights a couple of weeks ago.

The fat-free, sugar free Only 8 frozen yogurt Leo's Yum-Yums on West Clinton Avenue carried (get the chocolate-peanut butter when it's available before they close in October). Buying ice cream on Memorial Day brought back a lot of memories I detailed in that day's entry.

Swimming in Uncle Ken's pool while my laundry was in the dryer.

My nephew Skylar's third birthday party.

Finally getting a new record player and being able to play records again.

Worst Of Summer: Another damn knee injury. While not as nasty as the one I had last year (and the knee was the only thing seriously hurt this time), it was still a literal pain, severely restricted many of my activities in July and early August, and remains sore.

The Fourth Of July was a literal and figurative washout. Early work kept me away from the parades and other major morning and early afternoon activities, and while the fireworks were nice, getting caught in a downpour going to CVS to watch them and in an even worse one walking home was not.

Though we didn't have as many long stretches of intense heat and humidity this year, they still popped up from time to time, the worst in late July and early August.

The fracas with the phone company in late July.

My knee injury, vacation, lack of funds, and weird hours at the Acme kept me away from volunteering and day trips for much of the summer.

I hope your Labor Day was a great one, folks. I spent the majority of mine working (long day, very busy - lines out to the aisles, otherwise no major problems) and doing the role play with Lauren before she went to watch wrestling. Look for our newest Monkees role-play story sometime next week!

Oh, and my mom's sending me something she found at her house I haven't seen in years - my old high school field hockey jacket. It was one of the few things from her house I didn't take with me when I moved. I thought she was still using it. Oh, well, I'll be happy to take it. It'll be nice for walks and rides to work in fall and spring, when it's too warm for my heavy jackets and too cool to go without some covering.

No comments: