Saturday, March 14, 2009

Little Wooden Head

For some weird reason, today's Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears episodes were repeats of last week's (maybe the CBS execs thought kids wouldn't notice?), so I started today off with the tail end of the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers vehicle The Barkleys of Broadway instead. Their only vehicle in color and at MGM started out as a rematch between Astaire and Judy Garland after Easter Parade, but Garland dropped the film thanks to her ongoing personal problems and Ginger Rogers stepped in. Ginger and Fred are a married Broadway couple who break up when she wants to do a dramatic show. Oscar Levant, the king of deadpan snark, steals the show as their long-time friend and city-lover.

After Fred and Ginger, I ran a couple of errands. Went on a pleasant walk to the bank first. It was a lovely day, in the mid-40s and perfectly sunny. I saw robins chirping in the trees and the first flower of the spring. People were out and about as well. Older kids wandered in groups. Parents walked hand-in-hand with younger children. Adults waved to me from newly-washed and oiled bikes.

I did the bank as quickly as I could. Thankfully, it wasn't busy. I left a little early to head to FYE before work to pick up the new Platinum DVD of Pinocchio and renew my Membership Card. It was worth the early lunch and rushed ride. This isn't my favorite Disney movie, but the DVD is awesome. The transfer is amazing. The colors just pop, especially in my favorite part, the opening sequence in Gepetto's shop.

I wish I'd stayed at FYE. Work was two pains and a half. There were long lines and cranky customers all day long, and we were very short on help for a Saturday! I guess everyone decided they'd rather spend this nice day outside. I don't know why the crowds were so heavy. St. Patrick's Day isn't exactly a huge-feast-for-the-whole-family kind of holiday, March Madness only covers junk food, and the weather report for the next couple of days calls for more of the same - sunny or mildly cloudy and upper 40s-lower 50s, without even a rain drop in sight.

And one of my last order was one of those annoying women who buys a huge cart full of groceries, then puts most of it back because oops, she only brought so much money and can't afford it all. AND she had a bunch of screaming, whining little girls running around her, AND she was rude to them and me! For crying out loud, LEARN TO COUNT! Count in your head while you're shopping, and don't randomly shove whatever into the cart and hope that someone will put it away for you later. We don't always have enough help to put everything away the moment you want us to.

I was so grateful that they sent a teenage boy just off his break in for me (my relief was the kid with a second job who is always late). I had my own shopping to do. Thankfully, it wasn't much - yogurt, grapefruit, oranges, bananas, a bag of apples, Cheerios, ground turkey, a box of white cake mix, and the big $1.99 Edy's Ice Cream sale. Edy's Light Coffee Ice Cream is divine.

No comments: