Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Working Day

I slept so late, I barely had an hour to have breakfast, grab lunch, get dressed, and get to work! I wish I hadn't. Work is so depressing. It was surprisingly steady for a middle-of-the-week day, with a fair amount of obnoxious people. I really, really wish people would just read signs. One lady must have taken her big bag of crab legs off and on the order twice before she finally decided against them.

I really don't like work. I know what everyone is going to say. "It's a JOB! There's a RECESSION! You can't hate your job when no one else has one! It's security! It's money in the bank! That's all that matters!"

I'm sorry...but it does matter. I'm going crazy. This isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life. I feel useless. I wish I had some useful skills. I want to make things. I want to write things. I want to build things. I don't want to listen to people whine while pushing their food around. I wish I had the courage to look for a real job, to ask principals for a library assistant job or a job as a substitute teacher, or to ask local bakeries for jobs.

Alas, I don't know any teachers to ask, and most schools are downsizing. Alas, most of the local bakeries are family-run and likely won't accept anyone outside of the family who isn't a friend of a friend of a friend's friend. Most magazines and newspapers are cutting back, not adding more. Who would hire me when no one is hiring anybody? If I couldn't get a job seven years ago, when the market was better, why should I think I could get one now?

No comments: