Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Eternal Chase

Overslept and got out to the farm market a little later than I'd planned. Good thing I went to the bank yesterday. Blueberries are gone, but I did get blackberries, peaches, cute little apples, mushrooms, two tomatoes, pumpkin butter, and beets. I rushed home, put everything away, changed, grabbed lunch, and headed back out again for work.

Work was on-and-off busy, nothing out of line for a Saturday in late August. A lot of beginning-of-the-month people, but most folks seemed to be in decent moods. My relief was on time, and I was in and out with no problems.

At least, until I got outside. One of the cashiers warned me when I came up to her line with skim milk and buttermilk that it looked like it was going to rain. Indeed, a huge, very dark cloud was forming over Camden County, even after I hurried outside with my milk, buttermilk, and bike. I was half-way home on Kendall Boulevard when it began to rain...and rain hard. I debated stopping under a tree, but rumbles of thunder in the distance nixed that idea. Besides, I saw two very happy little girls playing in the rain as I turned the corner onto Goff Avenue. If they could do it, so could I.

I was literally soaked to the skin when I finally got in. I didn't avoid the rain, but I did get in before the thunderstorm got worse. I spent the rest of the evening eating leftovers for dinner and watching more Looney Tunes. The focus this time was on Road Runner, Wil. E Coyote, and their creator Chuck Jones. I have fond memories of seeing bits and pieces of most of the Coyote/Road Runner shorts as the finale of the compilation film The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie. Mom and Dad taped that off HBO sometime in the late 80s, and we watched it for years whenever we wanted to get our Looney Tunes fix.

In fact...I kinda think they work better in the movie than they do as a collection of shorts. They're fun to watch just randomly, or one or two or even three at a time...but any more than that, and it gets a little monotonous.

Of the remaining Chuck Jones shorts on the set, the most famous may be The Dover Boys, best known as one of the few Tunes to not feature animals. It's a very cute spoof of 19th/early 20th century melodrama. It might work best for people who do know a little about the entertainment of the time period, but even for non-history buffs, you gotta love the bad guy trying to dislodge Dora from that tree.

Oh, and my schedule for next week is pretty much the same as last week with slightly less hours and the same days off, Tuesday and Friday.

No comments: