Monday, August 03, 2009

Hot Summer Nights

I finally awakened to a gorgeous, 88-degree day, sunny with no humidity, just about what it should be in early August in New Jersey. Today was also my laundry day. It's a good thing I did it on one of my days off. Dolores was already running her laundry when I came over; apparently, there was a snafu with Uncle Ken. I finished How to Murder a Millionaire while waiting for Dolores' laundry to come out of the dryer, then went for a walk with Dolores and her year-old granddaughter May. We went over to the Oaklyn Library to deliver mail in the mailbox in front of the building.

On our way home, as we passed a church, Dolores suggested my looking into church groups, like crafts or singles groups. I didn't have the heart to tell her I'm not too sure about that. First of all, most of the people I've ever seen go to church have been elderly folks or mothers dragging their children for a religious education. Most of the singles would probably be too old for me...and if they live in this area, why haven't I seen them? Don't they go to the library or grocery shopping?

When we got home, I played with May for a while in Uncle Ken's den. After I finally shoved the laundry in the dryer, I hit the pool. It was chilly, about 80 degrees, but it still felt nice in the hot day. I was joined a bit later by Blake, Mercedes, and Brian and Amber with their little girl Ella. Two-year-old Ella is a real daredevil. She'll jump in the deep end all by herself (with someone there to catch her, of course)! She swims incredibly well for her age, too.

I got out, changed, grabbed my laundry, and headed home. I spent the rest of the afternoon doing the dusting. I got a call about half-way through. Yes, it was the Acme. Could I come in from 5 to 9 on Tuesday or 6 to 10 on Wednesday? I finally opted for Tuesday. I could still get a library run in, and 10PM is just too late for me.

After I finished the dusting, I went back to Dad and Uncle Ken's. Dad invited me over tonight for a small barbecue Rose was having for a friend of hers. The food was just about ready when I arrived. One of Rose's guy buddies from work, Jimmy, was doing the barbecuing. He made two amazingly tender pork chops for Jodie and Dad. The rest of us had nicely crisped hot dogs and cheeseburgers. I listened to Jodie, Dad, TJ, Rose, Craig, Jessa, and the birthday girl of honor, Kimmy chat about various hot-button topics as we ate. (Dolores and Uncle Ken did not join us. I don't know exactly what happened, but Dolores got into some kind of a snit over there not being enough pork chops for everybody and took off.)

Dessert was more pleasant. Craig and Rose revealed a gorgeous cake covered with white chocolate frosting and huge shavings of white chocolate from everybody's favorite local dessert shop, Desserts By Design. (Yes, the same place that made my divine chocolate birthday cake.) Kimmy adored it, and it vanished quickly. Even Jodie had some, despite claiming she doesn't like sweets.

And speaking of sweets, I seem to have picked up some more fans of my pudding pies. I finally found out what happened to the Peaches and Cream Pie I made for Dad's birthday last week. I didn't see it in the fridge on Saturday. Rose and her buddies apparently demolished most of it and had nothing but high praise and requests to be around the next time I make pie. ;)

No comments: