Saturday, September 05, 2009

A Beautiful Day For A Farm Market

It was a really perfect September day, lower 80s, sunny, and no humidity at all. I'm glad I was able to get up early enough to make my farm market/yard sale run...and the weather was nice enough to bring out some yard sales. I haven't seen any since before I went on vacation.

The Farm Market was packed to the gills. Not surprising, given this is Labor Day Weekend. Many people were probably picking up salad fixings, corn, and vegetables for the grill. Blackberries were gone, but I did buy peaches, carrots, tomatoes, Italian plums, a small green pepper, a cucumber, and zucchini.

As I mentioned, there were a couple of yard sales in Collingswood and Oaklyn this morning. I found some good stuff at a large multi-family sale on Kendall Boulevard in Oaklyn, down the street and around the corner from me. I don't normally buy clothes from yard sales, but I found a really, really nice LL Bean red-and-green sweater in a winter pattern that I loved. I also picked up a video of the Angela Landsbury TV musical Mrs. Santa Claus and a cassette copy of the Bruce Springsteen album Greetings From Asbury Park.

After I got home, I ate an early lunch, packed a snack, changed into my uniform, and headed to work. The Acme was busy, but it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be (I figured the lines would be across the aisles) and we had plenty of help. I guess everyone's waiting for tomorrow or Monday.

Jodie called me on my cell phone while I was on break and asked me if I wanted to come over to Dad's house for dinner. I had no plans for after work other than showing Miss Ellie the dead branch leaning over my porch, so sure!

My landlady Eleanor is a very nice woman, but she's also in her 70s and not able to get around as well as she used to. I help her out as much as I can. She did finally get far enough up the stairs that she saw that the rotted tree limb leaning over my porch is too thick to be clipped and too heavy for even her grandsons to handle. She really is going to have to call help for that one. We were able to fix an outside lightbulb that blew out, though.

Changed and went over to Dad and Uncle Ken's as soon as Miss Ellie was safely inside. Jodie made a huge dinner of barbecue pork ribs on the grill that were so tender, they fell off the bone, roasted potatoes with Uncle Ken's fresh rosemary, grilled asparagus, romaine and cucumber salad, corn, and tiny corn-on-the-cobs from Dad's own corn stalks. They said they originally invited Rose and Jessa as well, but they never appeared. I ate a ton and had a nice chat with Dad and Jodie, and even brought some home for the rest of the weekend.

No comments: