Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Rains Came...and Went

After all the scary news about what flooding did to the southeast and my friend Linda Young's frightening commute to work on Monday, I wasn't thrilled to wake up to rain. Thank goodness it wasn't anything nearly as bad as what Georgia went through. By the time I was up, eating cereal and doing my bills, it was merely cloudy, humid, and a bit warmer than it has been.

Work was the opposite of yesterday, quiet when I came in, busy when I left, with one spurt around 11:30-12...which is pretty much what I expected from an 11AM-4PM shift. I again helped clean during downtime, scrubbing the sides of the registers. I also got a bit more information on why we're suddenly tidying up the store. One of the managers told me we got a new "team," but she didn't say "team of what." Head managers, I guess. Some guy with slicked-back dark hair has been going ballistic, saying whomever "they" are will be going through the store with white gloves, checking everything. I thought he meant health inspectors.

The sun was out when I finished my shift at 4, and there was a very nice breeze, but it was still a bit humid. I took advantage of the decent weather to do what I'd planned this afternoon. My porch desperately needed to be swept, and the men who cleaned the gutters last weekend swept up most of their leaf mess but left muddy footprints on my porch furniture. The chairs in particular needed to be scrubbed.

I had an omelet for dinner and watched Bringing Up Baby, the classic screwball comedy involving Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, the leopard of the title ("Baby"), Asta the dog from the Thin Man movies, a dinosaur bone, and a seasoned cast of character actors that include May Robison, Barry Fitzgerald, and Charlie Ruggles. Oh yeah, and Cary Grant in a negligee. ;)

No comments: