Thursday, September 24, 2009

Busy Balance

Began my day with the Thursday yoga class. There were seven people there, counting the teacher Karin - larger than previous Thursday classes, but not huge. We worked on standing poses, like Warrior, and back bends. I'm getting much better at standing poses. My Warrior's fine. It's those back bends I'm not too great at. There's just too much of me to lift for Bridge, and forget Full Wheel. I'm simply not flexible enough.

I was surprised to see the thrift shop open after I left class. It was 10:30, and Friends In Deed usually opens at 11. I dropped off a small bag of donations and said "hi" to Erica. She'd just gotten a box of really good records in. I just ended up with the Beatles' White Album.

I didn't want to buy more records...because I went across the street to Haddon Hair Designs after I left Erica and got my hair done. Between my being busy lately and my being broke, I'd been putting it off, but it was just too thick and heavy now. While my layered hairstyle isn't quite as cute as the one I got in February, it's at least a bit shorter and less thick.

It took a lot less time to get my hair done than I thought it would. Instead of going to lunch, I went straight to the library. I shelved DVDs and did some of the huge piles of children's books. The library was fairly busy, but not too bad. I got there around 11:30-12PM, earlier than I usually do.

I took out some books after I finished shelving. My favorite find was two of the books about the newest American Girl, Rebecca, a Jewish tenement dweller in 1914. Though her Hanukkah story, Candlelight For Rebecca, was interesting, I loved Rebecca and the Movies. Rebecca wins for coolest American Girls birthday by far - her Uncle Max, a movie actor, takes her to the studio he works at in New Jersey, and she finds herself thrust into a small but important role in the studio's newest movie!

I hauled the bag with the Rebecca books, along with two adult mysteries, a baking cookbook, a book on changing careers, and a book on writing short stories for children, onto my bike. Didn't have much money on me after my haircut, so I just stopped at WaWa for a hoagie and then went home.

Since I hadn't take as long at the library as I thought I would, I decided to spend the rest of the afternoon listening to The White Album and cleaning the bathroom. I don't know why the bathroom's been getting so darn scummy lately. Maybe it's the humid weather we've had all summer. I'll do the kitchen tomorrow before work.

Made a delicious dinner of popcorn shrimp stir-fry with spinach and Chinese cabbage and sweet New Jersey Corn on the Cob while watching the wonderful 1944 Technicolor swashbuckler The Black Swan with Maureen O'Hara and Tyrone Power, with the last of the Peaches and Cream Cake from the Eagles game on Sunday for dessert.

No comments: