Friday, September 11, 2009

Bread and (Hot) Chocolate

The weather was lousy today. It's done nothing but rain, and it's still raining. Despite the weather, I had chores that had to be done. I rode over to the Acme in the rain for my paycheck and groceries. It showered on my way over there, and I got very wet. Good thing it was dead. I picked up yogurt, bananas, buttermilk, eggs, chicken legs, steak, a can of pineapple (which I left at the store and will have to retrieve tomorrow), a bag of wheat germ, allergy medicine on clearance, and the latest Entertainment Weekly with one of my favorite Beatles pictures on the cover, the one of John on Paul's shoulders. (I don't normally buy EW outside of the movie previews, but come on, it's the Beatles.)

Read the magazine for a little while next to the store while I waited for the rain to stop, or at least slow down. When it didn't appear to be doing either after ten minutes, I stuffed the Beatles in my backpack, rode home, and got wet again. I put everything away when I finally got in, then had lunch and did a few chores around the apartment until the guy from Verizon finally arrived.

The poor repair guy had a hard time finding my apartment. First of all, he was from New York and didn't know the area well. When he did find my house, he couldn't find the path leading to the back. It's very dark under all those trees, and the path is hard to find if you don't look for it. He did finally get upstairs and checked the online connection. Turns out the signal's too far from the main Verizon headquarters, which is why it keeps breaking up. (Also explains why whatever they did in the spring didn't take.) Good thing it wasn't something that needed to be worked on outside. This was not a day to be messing around on telephone poles and wires.

Since the computer was on and the Internet was working (for the time being), I messed around a little online. The rain let up enough by about 4:30 for me to make my last errand run of the day to the bank. The bank was busy when I made it there around quarter of 5. (Not surprising, given that's when it closes.) Since the rain was still light enough to not be soaking, I walked to WaWa to treat myself to a hot chocolate, dodging puddles and fairly heavy traffic on the White Horse Pike.

Spent the rest of the evening at home. I baked Pillow Bread, a cornmeal yeast bread from Alton Brown's I'm Just Here For More Food cookbook, had salad, potatoes, and Chicken Legs Poached In Lemon White Wine Herb Sauce for dinner, and watched the Disney Beauty and the Beast.

And yes...it's STILL raining.

No comments: