Saturday, November 21, 2009

Last Harvest of the Season

Yes, today was the last day of the year for my Saturday bank/farm market/yard sale run. The Collingswood Farm Market ends for the year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Thank goodness today was the nicest Saturday we've had in ages, with sunny skies and 50-degree temperatures.

After chatting with that nice teller at the bank about my problems with my family, I headed for the farm market. Not surprisingly, between the nice day and Thanksgiving being THE major food holiday of the year, the place was packed. More than half the food booths were gone, though, replaced by booths selling hand-made wares like beaded jewelry, knit items, and cigar-box purses. I did manage to grab small apples and pears, Brussels sprouts, organic beets, and romaine lettuce, along with mushrooms from the mushroom booth. (The regular vegetable tables were out of the little brown mushrooms I like.)

Rode around to a few yard sales after that. Bought a Squirrel Nut Zippers CD from an indoor "yard" sale a few blocks down from me. The owners said they had a lot of big furniture items they didn't want to drag outside. Didn't find anything else I liked today.

Headed home after leaving the indoor "yard" sale. I worked on editing this month's Monkees role play for about an hour, then dressed my American Girls and Sailor Moon dolls in their holiday outfits. (I won't have the time next week.) Molly wears a green-and-white floral dress with puffed sleeves and a long skirt. (I have no idea where that one came from. I wonder if Dad bought it online or from a doll clothes maker? It doesn't look like any American Girl outfit I've ever seen.) Little Jessa wears a bright red Chinese outfit my sister Jessa said she bought for a school project one year. Felicity wears the yellow dress I picked up for Samantha on vacation in North Adams a few years ago. Samantha wears her red "Cranberry Christmas Dress." The Sailor Scouts all wear the Barbie and fashion doll dresses I've bought them over the years from various dollar stores and yard sales.

I had a quick lunch of canned Italian Wedding Soup, then headed for work. Thank goodness after the last few weeks, work was busy, but otherwise no problem. We had plenty of help, and everyone was in a good mood, perhaps due to the impending holiday.

Grocery shopping after work went smoothly, too. I ended up with sugar, Fiber One granola bars (which are my favorite granola bars in the world), bananas, chocolate chips, yogurt, two individual packs of fish fillets (salmon and flounder), whole berry cranberry sauce (better for you than jellied), Multi-Bran Chex, canned pumpkin, and this year's Advent Calender (before they're all gone).

No comments: