Tuesday, November 03, 2009

You're Not Elected In New Jersey, Charlie Brown

I was very grateful to awaken to a sunny, cool Election Day. It was the perfect fall day, and a great day to dust the apartment. I started right after breakfast at quarter of 11, and after several distractions, finished around 1:30. Also finished up the new Maisie Dobbs book, Among the Mad, which I really enjoyed. I love Maisie. She's such a full-bodied and real character.

Ran several Election Day-themed cartoons and TV show episodes as I cleaned, including You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown and a hilarious Tiny Toon Adventures episode centering around spoiled rich kid Montana Max, "Citizen Max." (Guess which famous Orson Welles movie THAT'S spoofing.) After the episodes finished, I switched to music. Put on my book and record for the Election-themed One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band and a two-disc Reader's Digest selection of patriotic music like "American Patrol" and "God Bless America" compiled for the big 100th anniversary of The Statue of Liberty in 1986. I listen to that for most patriotic holidays, like the 4th of July.

Went for a walk after I finished the last of the tuna casserole for lunch. It wasn't a very long walk, just down to Kendall Boulevard and around to West Clinton Avenue, but it was very nice. Today was windy and sunny, and it felt like fall, with leaves tumbling around me like golden rain. Many kids were out riding bikes or playing. (A lot of kids have off this week for the New Jersey Teacher's Convention.)

When I got home, I did the dishes, changed into my work clothes, threw together dinner, and headed out to the Acme. Work was busy tonight, though not nearly as bad as over the weekend. There were lots of huge orders, some of them numbering into the $500s. A lot of people who otherwise won't be doing much shopping this month must be getting ready for the holidays.

No comments: