Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Passionate

Finished the raking this morning. I wanted to get the whole yard done before it rains tomorrow (at least, that's what they're calling for right now). It's a lot easier to rake when the leaves are dry. I picked the right time, too. I got out around 9:30, and by quarter of 11, Oaklyn's leaf collectors were picking up most of our leaves from the curb. The remaining leaves from the small pocket of land next to Miss Ellie's car and the path leading to my apartment went in the tree-strewn backyard.

I did get the yard done, but it wiped me out. Didn't help my bad knee, either. I went inside feeling tired and sore. I had a quick turkey sandwich lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon resting my knee and making a list of notes for our Monkees role-play stories for Lauren.

Work was fine until the last 20 minutes or so. Two men came through my line with carts full of sales items and hundreds of coupons for them. Everyone in the store knows these people buy these items for pennies, then sells them illegally to chop shops in Camden and Philadelphia. The manager on duty let the first man pass, but I put my foot down on the second and told him he could only get six of each item, which is the rules. Then, when the computer wouldn't let his six 5 and 10 dollar coupons through, the manager couldn't let it pass. The head manager said he could, and all the managers ended up in a bit of a row, even as I finished my shift, bought eggs, and left.

The head manager said he was glad to see me get so passionate about something. Well, thanks, but I was just mad. I don't enjoy aiding what amounts to criminal activity. These people need to start buying the things they need for their stores from warehouses like normal people or not be in business. They hold up the line with those endless coupons and forget that other people who aren't going to be selling things might want to buy some sales items, too.

No comments: