Monday, December 14, 2009

Going Postal

Once again, today was errands and laundry day. I picked my way through the tangled brush between the parking lot for the VFW across from the house and the train tracks, trying to avoid the muddy path I usually took. Uncle Ken and Dolores were wrapping gifts when I arrived at his house. (No, I didn't see if there was anything for me.)

My first stop was Oaklyn's tiny post office to deliver packages to my best friend Lauren and Linda and James Young, friends of mine who live in Atlanta. Going there at 12:30 may have been a mistake. The line was already winding around the one-room building, and people were turning away. Though admittedly most folks seemed to be asking for stamps or money orders, there were others with huge piles of packages. One man had so many boxes, he had them loaded onto a cart!

Made a quick trip to the Oaklyn Library after I finally got out of the post office for this week's volunteering session there. I just organized the children's books again. The librarians there said they really appreciated my sticking with the kids' picture books. I stick with them because they're in a very visible spot, right when you come in, and they always seem to need to be done.

I wasn't at the Oaklyn Library for very long. I didn't have the time. It was 2PM before I got home with my laundry, and I had to work at 3:30. I'm so glad it was a nice day today, sunny, windless, and in the 50s. It made all the rushing around a lot more bearable.

I got to work right on time. As it turned out, it was steady initially, but nowhere close to as busy as it was over the weekend. I spent most of the second half of my shift doing returns.

No comments: