Monday, December 21, 2009

In the Aftermath of the Storm

Though it was sunny and somewhat warmer today and some of the snow did melt, we're still fairly buried. There are huge piles of snow and ice along the roads that were cleared, blocking cars and driveways. Other streets haven't been cleared at all, including Manor. All schools in Philadelphia were closed. Some were closed here as well, but most of the local schools settled for delayed openings. (Half of them are neighborhood schools where many kids walk or get rides from their parents.)

Rose called as I was getting the laundry together. She and Craig were on their way to the Cherry Hill Mall (they are brave people), but she wanted to tell me that we're probably going down to Cape May County around 1PM on Christmas Eve.

I was able to get my laundry done and hit the bank. The bank was fairly busy, but not too bad. The teller and I swapped snow stories; her daughter's car and much of her street had been blocked by huge walls of snow pushed by snow plows. She complained that the fire marshal now can't get through...or anyone else, for that matter.

My errands hit a snag after I left the bank, dodging puddles of slush, patches of ice, and un-shoveled sidewalks. I had originally planned on doing my Oaklyn Library volunteering today and dropping off the card games in their Toys For Tots box, but they were locked and dark when I arrived. I guess the librarian couldn't get out, either. Oh, well. I'll just do it tomorrow after I deliver some cookies.

Headed back to Uncle Ken's after that. Dad had brought Jessa home, and the two of them had gone looking for a Christmas tree. They dragged a huge, fat tree in shortly after I arrived. Turns out it was too big, hitting the ceiling and further. Dad said he had forgotten to bring measuring tape. I left him trimming the tree to manageable length. Last I saw of it, it looked a little bald on top, but otherwise fine.

I did some small things around the apartment after I got in. I put away the laundry. I had leftover meatloaf and grapefruit for lunch. I did my bills. I organized all the containers of cookies and gifts, putting the ones going to Cape May County on Thursday in a bag and leaving everything else on the dining area table.

Uncle Ken drove me to work, and Dad drove me home. I was not going to attempt walking again after yesterday evening, and both of my bikes are buried under snow...not to mention, the roads are still not up to bike riding. Work was on-and-off steady for most of the night, with plenty of help and no major problems.

No comments: