Thursday, December 17, 2009

Takes Two to Balance

Started off a very cold and windy but sunny morning with this week's yoga class. There were 11 people, counting me and the teacher Karin, a fairly large number for the Thursday class and the time of year. Since it was so cold, we concentrated on standing poses, back bends, and "heart warmers" that would get our blood pumping.

At one point, we partnered off with the person next to us while they kept us steady as we tried to bend over and touch the wall behind us. I was just barely able to touch the wall, but I could go no further. My partner was more impressive. She could go most of the way down the wall, and that with mild scoliosis!

I made a quick run to the thrift shop after class to say "hi" to my friend Erica and drop off a small bag of donations. Went a few blocks down the street next to the Collingswood Library for this week's volunteer session there. The upstairs librarian wanted to make room for new non-fiction books, so she had me shift books up two shelves. I got most of the shelves done, despite not being able to resist taking a look at some of them. I was working on the 790s and 80s, which is the games, sports, and entertainment books, some of my favorite topics. It was hard not to peek.

Had no other traveling plans for the rest of the day and it was still awfully cold, so I headed home after I was done in the library. I swept the sticker balls off the porch, then had a peanut butter and apple butter sandwich for lunch.

Spent the rest of the evening watching The House Without a Christmas Tree and The Bishop's Wife and working on the Molasses Roll-Outs, also known in The Betty Crocker Cooky Book as Merry Christmas Molasses Cookies. Like sugar cookies, they're rolled and then cut into shapes. Unlike sugar cookies, they're darker, less sweet, and mildly spicy, like gingerbread. They're something different for my cookie gifts, and everyone does sugar cookies. Some of the bottoms got a little burnt after I ran out of parchment paper, but they otherwise came out fine.

I was just starting the Molasses Roll-Outs when I got a rare week-day call from my brother and mother. Mom had just received a package in the mail...from me! I hadn't sent her anything! Turns out I hadn't gotten one old label off the box I'd used to send Lauren's package to Massachusetts, and the post office got confused. Mom said she'd send it tomorrow, and Lauren actually thought it was funny, but I was and still am embarrassed. I really wanted Lauren to get her gifts as soon as possible, and I feel so stupid when I do things like that. Everyone says I'm so smart, and a smart person would know to check the labels correctly.

No comments: