Sunday, December 27, 2009

Share the Joy of Christmas

Started off a sunny, windy day with Lemon-Coconut Pancakes, the end of The Great Race, and a call to my mother for our weekly chat. She was busy but mostly fine. She, Dad, and Keefe ended up having a very quiet Christmas Day. They slept late, opened the few presents they hadn't opened the night before, and hung around. Mom didn't have work today, but she said she did have some errands to run. Unlike me, she happily agreed to work New Year's Eve and Day, since she didn't have any other plans.

Work was, rather shockingly for a football Sunday, on-and-off quiet. We had a few spurts, but it was nothing like it usually is on a Sunday. I'm assuming everyone is still sleeping off Christmas. There were no major problems, lots of help, and my relief was early.

I went straight home after work. I slathered the marble cake I made with Acme chocolate fudge icing, grabbed my presents for Karen, Jim, and their kids, and headed over to Uncle Ken's.

Yes, everyone was there, Uncle Ken and Dolores, Dad and Jodie, Jess, all the cousins and their families, Dolores' children and grandchildren, and a few random neighborhood friends. I was able to give Karen and Jim their cookies, Taylere her pen, and CJ his Peter Pan Golden Book. There was tons of food, too. Sam and David brought a huge loaf of bread Sam made in her bread machine and a bowl of salsa dip. Jodie brought chicken tortellini soup and a chocolate ganache cake. Uncle Ken made bean and bacon soup.

I had a marvelous time, playing with the kids and watching the game. Faith was very frisky tonight. We pretended to be snakes, horses, and frogs, among other things! At one point, I was a sleigh driver and Faith was my horse, and we went up and down the stairs in the den, belting Sleigh Ride at the top of our voices.

After Sam and her family left, I played with Blake and Mercedes. Mercedes wanted to show me her WebKinz, and I showed them my new Zumbuddy. He's just so cute. You buy him different toys and food, and he'll do little tricks. If you make him happy enough, he'll give you Zum Marbles. When you have enough marbles, you can buy furniture for his room. It's a shame the Zumbuddies are hard to find and expensive, because they are just so gosh-darn adorable. (Lauren said she got mine online. The only physical place I've ever seen them is the big FYE on Broad Street in Philly.)

Oh, and the Eagles started well, but played a rather poor second half. David Aikers' last minute field goal was just enough to lift them over the Denver Broncos, 30-27. And while Mark's probably thrilled, as the Packers killed the Seattle Seahawks 48-10, I doubt my stepfather is. The Giants' 41-9 loss to the Carolina Panthers officially ends their run for the playoffs and marks the first time in two years they haven't made it to post-season. (It's especially embarrassing as the last game played in their long-time home the Meadowlands.)

No comments: