Wednesday, December 30, 2009

He Blinded Me With Science

Spent the morning watching Good Eats episodes and baking Betty Crocker Gingerbread Mix cookies. If you can find that Gingerbread Mix in the next week or so, grab a pack or two by all means. It's the only Betty Crocker Cookie Mix I like, and you can only find it between late November and early January as a "Special Edition." It's spicy and filled with yummy molasses flavor. They also put out a second special edition cookie mix this year, Pumpkin Spice, but I thought it was dry and didn't have enough pumpkin flavor.

Lauren's the big fan of Alton Brown in general. Me, I just appreciate his great tips. Some of them I already knew (like how to make your own brown sugar), but there were just as many I didn't (like the care and handling of greens). I also appreciate learning about the science and social studies that go into what we eat...and that many previously feared vegetables are delicious if handled right, such as greens and Brussels sprouts, both of which I've fallen in love with recently.

Rose did finally show up with the Prevention cookbook she borrowed from me ages ago and kept forgetting to return. She wanted to borrow my bread cookbook. (She'd better remember to return THAT, or I'm going to be mad. I love that thing. I get a lot of bread recipes out of it.) We chatted about my job troubles (and not complaining about them to a fed-up Dad) for so long, I was almost late to work! Rose drove me there, and I walked home.

I actually didn't mind the walk at all. It was quite pleasant. Work was steady-to-busy, with no major problems and tons of help. All the college and high school kids are off now, and many of them probably don't have a lot else to do BUT work. It was crisp and chilly going home, but not quite as cold as last night. It's supposed to rain and snow tomorrow - the sky is that whitish snow color again. I'm hoping that it doesn't do either so heavily that I can't do what I need to do.

No comments: