Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It Feels Like Christmas

Spent most of the morning making a Pumpkin Mousse Pie for my last Christmas present and wrapping the remaining food gifts. I wanted to make a Pumpkin Pudding Pie, but alas, Jello stopped making that wonderful holiday pumpkin pudding mix. I substituted French Vanilla Mousse mix with canned pumpkin. It came out pretty well, if not quite like Jello's pudding. Ran Ernest Saves Christmas and The Muppets' Christmas Carol as I covered and labeled the muffins, bread, and cupcakes.

This officially finishes all my presents. I have nothing left to make, bake, buy, or wrap. I'll deliver the presents for my landlady and my neighbors before Rose picks me up for the trip to Cape May County tomorrow.

I got bored with sitting around after I finished the pie, so I went for a quick walk around the park before work. Veteran's Park next door to my apartment is GORGEOUS. The sky was a brilliant robin's egg-blue. The water was frozen solid; the thick snow glistened over the hills and bushes. I hiked down to the tree by the creek, then back around past the VFW and up to the train tracks. Admired some spectacular views both ways. The houses look like they're covered in icing and candy lights; the water is a gigantic green Popsicle. I really regret forgetting my camera. Maybe I'll see if I can take some pictures tomorrow before Rose arrives.

Work was slightly busier than Monday, but other than some mildly annoying customers, not a problem. We have plenty of help, now that all the college students and high schoolers are out for Christmas Break. My relief was early. Uncle Ken and Dolores dropped me off; Dad and Jodie picked me up.

A heavy package from my best friend Lauren was there when I arrived. I huffed upstairs (glad to see that someone had salted my steps and porch) and inside with the box. I waited until I'd eaten, watched Sailor Moon S: Hearts In Ice, and had gotten on IM with Lauren before opening everything.

Lauren spoils me like crazy. She bought me a Zumbuddy (a cute little winged critter that is a "buddy" for your WebKinz; mine is a red Zippy Zum), an Opossum WebKinz (they're only available at Cracker Barrel, and there's no Cracker Barrels nearby), three sets of Good Eats episodes, various Alton Brown clips, and Alton Brown's newest book, Good Eats - The Early Years, signed by the man himself! Lauren had ordered it from a book-signing in Florida. Oh yes, and gift cards for The Vermont Country Store, FYE, and Barnes and Noble. Lauren is the best best friend anyone ever had!

Oh yes, and meet Polly the Opossum and Zed the Zippy Zum! Zed has his own place in the Zumwhere section. I have no idea where Polly will live; maybe I'll make her a small Christmas room.

No comments: