Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Little Bit Of Spring In Winter

I got quite a surprise when I headed for the Oaklyn Library late this morning. It was...warm. Probably in the mid-40s. Not hot, but above the norm for New Jersey in January and much warmer than it has been. All of the remaining snow and slush was melting like crazy. My porch was almost clear.

Volunteered at the Oaklyn Library for the first time in two months. I did miss them. The kids from the day care were there when I arrived, and I helped them find books. I organized the DVDs, too. The kids' DVDs had been moved back to the main DVD/video shelf and the teen DVDs were mixed in with the kids' movies again...which is really how it should be. That got too complicated before. I also shelved some fiction and nonfiction and put kids' books back after the pre-schoolers left.

After I left, I strolled to WaWa. Treated myself to a soft pretzel and a Coke Zero with Raspberry and Vanilla syrups there, then headed home. When I got in, I finally took out the trash leftover from Christmas, including the old boots Miss Ellie gave me that were such a mess and all the various plastic wraps and Styrofoam innards from the back room. I made Turkey and Vegetable Soup from leftover turkey cutlets, various vegetables sitting in my refrigerator, and the last of the beef stock I made with last week's Slow Cooker Beef Ribs.

Went to work after lunch. Work was on-and-off busy when I came in and when I left, but got crazier during rush hour. There were some annoying customers, too, including one of those obnoxious old ladies who keeps telling you to "bag light"...and then just throws more items in the bag when they see how many bags they're going to have to carry, even if you do make it light.

And as of right now, we're supposed to be getting snow again tomorrow. One of the cashiers said she heard six inches, but I wouldn't trust any local forecasts. As of press time, the National Weather Service, the only weather forecast I'd trust in nasty weather, says we'll be getting 1-3 inches late tomorrow night.

No comments: