Monday, January 31, 2011

New Jersey On Ice

I awoke to a chilly, 30-degree morning. Unfortunately, that meant anything that melted yesterday was frozen by the time I got out...including the ice on the path leading to my apartment, a line of melting snow on my porch, and just about any water surrounding the laundromat. The streets are still clear, but it was hard to get onto the sidewalk once I got there.

At least I didn't have much laundry to do. It didn't take much more than the usual hour-hour and a half. They laundromat was really busy today. Everyone was fussing about the ice and the weather, and it got very annoying to listen to. I got squawked at by the old lady who owns the place, too. She complained about my bike blocking the door...but there weren't too many other places I could put it! I was glad when I was finally done with both Clues In the Shadows and my dryer load and was able to go home.

I put my clothes away, then had leftover meatballs and peas and carrots for lunch while watching more McBride. In The Doctor's Out...Really Out, Mac attempts to help out his friend and accountant Harvey, who just lost custody of his son due to a psychiatrist's insistence that he's unstable. Harvey goes to the man's house to have it out with him and make it look like he's going to kill himself, but he trips and accidentally shoots the man. When he panics and calls McBride, it's discovered that the man was likely dead before Harvey arrives, and that he may have been poisoned with a chemical that can dissipate in the body after 36 hours. However, when Roberta arrives, the body's somehow disappeared. Some very interesting cat-and-mouse games here, especially as Phil searches the hospital for the body.

I wish I'd stayed with McBride. Snow/ice jitters crossed with beginning-of-the-month customers made for a busy and fairly unpleasant night at work. This is getting absurd. We are supposed to have ONE inch of snow tomorrow, then a LITTLE freezing rain, and tons of regular old RAIN! People will have to be a little careful on their morning commutes, but we're hardly going to get snowed in. People were snippy; old ladies were demanding and obnoxious. We had call outs, including one manager who couldn't get her car started, and were short-handed all night.

No comments: