Thursday, January 27, 2011

Miss Redmer and the Tales of the Canceled Shows

After last night's storm, I wasn't even going to attempt to get to Collingswood this morning. I doubt either Yogawood or the Collingswood Library were open, anyway. I slept until 9:30 again, then read in bed for a while and wrote in my journal.

When I finally got dressed and made grits for breakfast, I ran the last two episodes of Tales of the Gold Monkey. My favorite of the two was A Distant Shout of Thunder, in which Sarah is accused of causing a rash of nature-related phenomenon by a charismatic native shaman, including a volcanic eruption. The final episode, Mourning Becomes Matuka, had Jake working as a bodyguard for Princess Koji when she fears someone in her palace may be trying to assassinate her.

Even more than another one-season wonder from the early 80s I have on DVD, Voyagers!, I really wish this show had lasted. While Voyagers! apparently hit stiff competition (including 60 Minutes), Tales ran into executives who didn't understand the concept and wanted it to be more "kid-friendly."

Actually, the biggest problem with both shows may have been they were simply ahead of their time. People are far more appreciative of action shows with lots of special effects and elaborate, ongoing story-lines in the early 21st century than they were during my early childhood, thanks to hits like Lost and Heroes.

Spent the rest of the afternoon messing around online. I watched a couple of Sailor Moon Season 2 episodes while eating leftover steak, spinach, steamed peas and carrots, and a slice of Molasses-Oat Bread with apple butter for lunch.

I debated walking to work, but by the time I finally got out the door, it was too late. I half-slid, half-walked down my snow-covered steps, dug out my bike, and hit the streets. I was fortunate that even the back streets had been plowed by quarter of 4; I had a harder time getting to the streets than riding down them.

I wasn't crazy about working 4 to 9:30 tonight, especially after it was such a pain last week. Thank goodness this time, we were on-and-off busy and I had no problems whatsoever. I even had enough time to put several shelves of candy away.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your blog! Especially your "Gold Monkey" reviews. It was my fav show as well. But it's not OVER! There are amazing commentaries by the writer-producer starting with episode "Force of Habit". Just to to "Set Up" in the menu for each episode and click on the "With Commentary" link. The best I've ever heard, and so much fun! And there's also a great documentary on the "Making Of" the series. Stephen Collins still looks great. Hope you review these as well.