Sunday, January 02, 2011

Raining In the New Year

I was up late with Lauren last night and slept until almost 10 this morning! By the time I did some reading, wrote in my journal, and got dressed, it was past 11. I made Strawberry-Peanut Butter Pancakes while listening to Brunch With the Beatles. "Songs Released In January" was the theme today; they included "Penny Lane," "From Me To You," and "Magical Mystery Tour."

I called Mom during the second hour of Brunch. Mom was in a very good mood. She was working on taking down her Christmas decorations, including her tree. Like me, she spent most of her Christmas week working.

It was warm and wet when I headed for work around quarter of 1. Looked like it rained last night. Good thing, too. The rain cleared out most of the remaining snow. There's still a few small piles on curb-sides and in shady areas, but the streets and most sidewalks are fine. I easily rode to work.

Work was very busy and a bit of a pain. It's the beginning of the month, and we had lots of old people who did nothing but give orders and people with chips on their shoulders fussing over this and that price. And on top of that, my relief was late...which made ME late getting out!

(On the other hand, that did make up for losing that 15 minutes earlier in the week when I was late because of the snow.)

I bought flour and chicken breasts on really good sales, then rode straight home. Headed right over to Uncle Ken's for the last game of the regular season between the playoff-bound Eagles and the definitely-done-for-the-season Dallas Cowboys. I had Uncle Ken's spicy Beef Vegetable Stew for dinner and sampled cookies, chocolates, and coconut macaroons leftover from Christmas.

There weren't many people there tonight. It was just Jodie, Dad, Uncle Ken, Dolores, her son and his son Blake, and a couple of Uncle Ken's buddies from the neighborhood. I'm glad I got to see Dad; he's going on a work trip tomorrow. His luggage was packed and sitting in the dining area, waiting for his departure.

Got home in time for most of The Dress Circle. "The Shows of January" was tonight's theme here. Among the shows released in the first month of the year were the Gershwin anti-war satire Strike Up the Band, the 1971 revival of No, No, Nanette, Plain and Fancy, Ragtime, Shenandoah, The Happy Time, and The Wiz.

(And the Cowboys just barely beat the Eagles' second string players, 14-13.)

No comments: