Saturday, January 22, 2011

Travels In Audubon

I blissfully slept in this morning. I really had no plans for today, so after a late Life cereal breakfast/brunch, I put on my heavy black winter coat and went for a long walk over the train bridge and into Audubon.

It's been a while since I went for a nice stroll in Audubon. Stopped by Desserts By Design first. She was busy with a family with young kids looking for a treat when I came in. I just said "hi" and bought an Orange Cupcake. (Actually a regular yellow cupcake with orange-flavored-and-tinted frosting, but it still tasted pretty good.)

Went a block down to Abbie Road next. I hadn't seen Bob in ages. He was busy, too. Several young men were browsing in the store, looking for the coolest rock CDs. I opted for two used CDs, the 1994 Broadway revival cast of Show Boat and a CD replacement for my old cassette copy of The Big Chill soundtrack.

Went up to the Pine Street Shops after leaving Abbie Road. Act Two Collectibles didn't seem to be open, but Willie the Woodsman and Wife was. Alas, they didn't have either of the WebKinz I wanted. I was hoping to pick up this month's Pet of the Month the Silverback Gorilla, along with next month's, the Blufadoodle (a fat, sparkly blue bird). All I got was a pack of WebKinz Trading Cards.

I had lunch at Simply Soups. I had a tasty, thick Pumpkin Barley Soup with Sausage, a huge slab of cornbread, a can of Diet A&W root beer, and a pat of butter for the cornbread. There were lots of people joining me for lunch. A couple was finishing their sandwiches as I arrived; a family showed up as I was finishing my cornbread.

I couldn't think of anything else to do after lunch. Besides, the clouds were hiding the sun, making everything very, very cold. I just walked home.

Spent the rest of the afternoon mucking around online and working on editing the last Bowery Boys story Lauren and I did, a spoof of Sherlock Holmes-style mysteries. Look for it later tonight or this weekend!

I ran the Bowery Boys college spoof Hold That Line! while baking a Lemon Pound Cake and more Tales of the Gold Monkey while making flounder with mushrooms, an orange and spinach salad, and roasted Brussels sprouts for dinner.

My favorite of the two I watched tonight was Legends Are Forever. An old friend of Jake's, Gandy Dancer, gets him, Corky, Louie, and Jack mixed up with a tribe of African Watusis (yes, in the South Pacific - don't ask) and the search for the famous King Solomon's Mines. Escape From Death Island concerned Jake attempting to flee the French penal colony of the title with Corky, who is sick and feverish from a snake bite.

No comments: