Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Apple of My Cake

Started off a cloudy, humid morning with Brunch With the Beatles. The Beatles' second movie Help! was in the spotlight today. It's my favorite of their film endeavors, and certainly the funniest. From the album of that title we heard the title song, "Ticket to Ride," "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," "Another Girl," "You're Gonna Lose That Girl," "Act Naturally," and one that was intended for Ringo but cut and not released until recently, "If Ya Got Trouble."

I made some delicious Apple and Cinnamon Pancakes for breakfast, then called Mom. I'll be leaving for Cape May County Wednesday morning to visit her, Dad, and Keefe for three days. They're all just fine. Cape May County actually got less flooding than here for once. They've had so little rain, all but the barrier islands like Wildwood that get waterlogged if you whisper about it were spared major damage. Mom says two days after Irene left, you'd barely know there was a hurricane in the area.

She also confirmed what I suspected from talking to customers. Many people in my area have decided to make up for lost time and take their Labor Day weekends at the beach. Mom said the traffic in Rio Grande was really horrible when she was running errands there. It's where two of the major highways in Cape May County, Route 45 and Route 9, meet, and the home of most of the largest local shopping centers as well.

I ran records while working on a surprise for Dad and Jodie's Labor Day dinner: an Apple-Spice Cake, made with Betty Crocker Spice Cake Mix. I like to use cake mixes for large gatherings because they tend to make more. I made it a little healthier with egg whites, buttermilk, a few tablespoons of fruit juice concentrate, and a farm market apple cut into chunks. It came out beautifully, spicy and sweet.

Headed for work shortly after the cake came out of the oven. Work was busy for most of the day, more so than yesterday but still not too bad. It went by far more quickly than it has of late.

As soon as I got home, I used the bathroom, changed my shirt, grabbed the cake, and rode my bike over to Dad's for a Labor Day dinner. Dad was working on the grill when I arrived. His girlfriend Jodie, my sister Rose, her boyfriend Craig, their son Khai, my stepsister Jessa, and her boyfriend Bobby were all inside, watching Spongebob Squarepants and playing with toddler Khai.

Dinner was delicious. Jodie made her famous ribs that are so tender, the meat literally falls off the bone. She also made asparagus sauteed with garlic. Dad grilled a huge zucchini someone in Cape May gave him and Jodie. That was my favorite part of the meal. Zucchini tastes great grilled - it really brings out its flavors. There was macaroni salad, too. My cake was quite well-received for dessert. Dad's neighbor Sandy visited in time to try some cake and chat with the family.

No comments: