Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Grocery Stores in the 21st Century

Spent the morning baking Peach Cupcakes and dubbing the remaining Monkees tapes. There was one full concert from 1987 left, along with a lot of bits and pieces. There were interviews with Micky, Davy, and Peter on Sally Jesse Raphael in 1987 (from them plugging their then-newest album, Pool It!). There was another interview and two songs with those three on the Rosie O'Donnell Show probably around 2000 (they mentioned Mike was off the tour) and a solo interview with Davy from what was then known as TNN.

My favorite item was from 1996. The original four Monkees released their first album really together since 1967. JustUs wasn't a hit, but it does have some good music, and I think it can at the very least be downloaded at Rhino's site. Along with the album and the primetime special revolving around the new songs, Rhino released a half-hour tape featuring promotional music videos. They were really fun, and in a few cases, better than what turned up on the special. (My favorite is Micky and Davy's "You and I" and the "Run Away With Life" that pokes fun at Davy's infamously large ego.)

Had a very quick lunch and ran some Looney Tunes shorts before dashing off to work. Work wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Our computer system was just completely revamped. The hardest part is figuring out the new buttons for WIC Checks (which aren't under the checks anymore) and for doing rainchecks. Not to mention remembering you don't have to hit the total button anymore or hit the sign off button twice.

It helped that we were never busier than on-and-off all day. It's the middle of the week an the middle of a month that's rarely busy anyway except for football weekends. I got in and out with no problems.

I even got lunch on the Acme. Apparently, someone gave me some praise while I was on vacation. I got a $5 coupon for doing a good job and bought myself a decent dinner with it.

No comments: