Saturday, September 03, 2011

Fruits of Labor

Started out a cloudy, cool, humid morning with most of the American Top 40. We couldn't be much more 80s than today's Top 40, early September 1985. Among the songs that delighted the US during Labor Day Weekend that year were were "Invincible" by Pat Benetar, "Freeway of Love" by Aretha Franklin, "Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams, "You're Only Human (Second Wind)" by Billy Joel, "We Don't Need Another Hero" by Tina Turner, and "Billy Don't You Lose My Number" by Phil Collins.

There actually were some yard sales this week, which I didn't expect on a holiday weekend. I saw two in Oaklyn, one in Collingswood near Westmont, and one in Audubon. And unlike last week, I found a few items I liked. Picked up two records (Doris Day and a Fats Domino Greatest Hits two-disc set) at one of the ones in Oaklyn and a really interesting cookbook about low-fat and low-sugar baking from the Audubon sale.

I didn't need much at the farm market this week. I'll be going away for part of the week. It's definitely getting close to fall; I saw the first pumpkins, winter squash, and gourds of the season. I also saw the results of Hurricane Irene last week. At least two regular farm stands were missing because their fields were so flooded, they couldn't pick their crop. I just ended up with apples, grapes, a small organic honeydew melon (small enough for just me), and a jar of apple butter for a present.

When I got home, I had leftovers for lunch, listened to CDs, and read that cookbook. The book suggests using fruit juice concentrate as a sugar substitute. I liked that idea so much, I bought two containers of 100% frozen fruit juice tonight. It's a win-win situation. If it works, it works. If not, I'll just make it into juice.

Did the budget before heading out to work. I spent a ton last month, partially because of needing contacts and that mall trip. It shouldn't be quite as bad this month - no contacts needed, and unless there's an emergency, I don't have a mall trip planned. (I do want to go into Philly during my vacation, but it'll be a while before I really need clothes again.)

Work was on-and-off steady. Other than some annoying beginning-of-the-month customers, it wasn't too bad. I think a lot of people already went down to the Shore for their vacations, including people making up for time lost to Hurricane Irene last week. Worked on restocking candy between customers.

No comments: