Friday, March 09, 2012

Help From an Internet Source

I slept in a little later than I planned this morning. I was going to go to the gym, then the Acme; as with last week, I just shortened it to a quick Acme trip. I didn't really need much anyway. Most of what I bought was fruit and vegetables, including a good sale on strawberries. The only other things I grabbed were cereal (Fiber One 80 Honey Squares) and more of the Emerald bagged trail mix, both of which were on good sales. I also had a coupon for the trail mix. The boxes come with coupons in them; useful if you really enjoy these. I only buy them on sale because they're really overpriced, but the coupon helps.

When I got home, I put everything away and did work on the computer for an hour. This time, I hit the jackpot. Google came up with something called Guru.com, a website for freelance writers and copyeditors. Most of the freelancers seemed to specialize in corporate editing and writing, not in small businesses. I know I won't get a lot of money from these people, but I don't need a lot of money to start off with. I hate it, but I have to keep the Acme job until I can find another job as the sideline to my business that I both enjoy and will be more satisfying. I also figured out some ideas for pricing, which is why I haven't sent in my second or third projects for the college courses yet. I'll do them tomorrow.

Ran more Monkees while having leftovers for lunch. I switched back to the first season for a pair of favorites of mine. "The Chaperone" is more typically sitcom - Davy is crazy about a girl with a very strict military father, so Micky winds up dressing as a chaperone so she can come to the boys' party. (Someone forgot to tell him that Mike and Peter were technically adults by that point.) "I've Got a Little Song Here" is the first Mike-centric episode of the series, and one that has a real grain of truth in it. A phony song plugger fools Mike Nesmith into believing he can sell his song (the comic novelty "Gonna Buy Me a Dog", which, interestingly, was not one of Mike's songs). Mike is heartbroken when he discovers he sold his favorite guitar for nothing, so the other three get even on the plugger.

Work was a little bit steadier than yesterday, but otherwise went quickly and wasn't a problem. I was in and out on time. There was a gorgeous moon out when I went home, full and round and yellow like cheese, which made up for going home so late.

Thank goodness my schedule is, other than slightly less hours, generally pretty good. I have two days off again, and no hours later than 8:30. March usually isn't a busy month, especially when the weather's gorgeous, like it was this week and is supposed to be next week.

No comments: