Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Springing Into March

Though it was still chilly when I got up this morning, I'd had quite enough of winter. I started the day by taking down the general winter decorations right after breakfast. I didn't get the spring decorations up today. I'd really like to finish the cleaning first. I'll do them later in the week.

Rose was supposed to bring over salmon this morning. I called her when she hadn't showed up by 11AM. Yup, she forgot. She brought over the salmon just as I was getting ready to head out. I put them upstairs, then grabbed my DVDs, jumped on the bike, and rode to the Haddon Township Library.

It was a gorgeous day for it. The weather was pretty par for the course for early March in South Jersey - sunny, windy, and probably in the mid 40s to lower 50s. There were lots of people out and about in Newton River Park today. I had to dodge lots of couples strolling and dog walkers.

The Library was fairly busy when I arrived, and there was lots for me to do. I organized children's DVDs, shelved kids' books and adult DVDs, and pulled books for displays. Ended up renewing Desk Set, which I never got to last week, and took out the Pierce Bronsonan miniseries version of Around the World In 80 Days and X-Men: First Class.

Stopped at Wendy's for a quick chicken sandwich and fries lunch, then headed straight home. It was so nice, I went for a walk in the park and our rocky, cliffside backyard when I got in. Wasn't careful and slipped down the stone steps leading to Miss Ellie's garden as I made my way to the park. Thankfully, other than scraped hands and mud-stained jeans, I wasn't hurt. I hiked up to the main park, making my way over to the big climbing tree. Alas, the branch that used to hold the rope swing was apparently sawed off ages ago, along with several other branches. Other than that, the park is lovely at this time of year. Leaves are just barely budding on most bushes and trees, but not so much that you can't take in the incredible view of the river.

Spent the rest of the afternoon in the apartment cleaning. I ran the Bowery Boys movies Looking for Danger and Feudin' Fools as I scrubbed the kitchen and washed the windows. The kitchen wasn't that bad (I did it late last month), but the windows really needed to be done. They hadn't been done since before Christmas. I made my bed and vacuumed after the movies ended.

Ran Desk Set while making Barbecue Salmon and roasted vegetables for dinner. This 1957 film was the second-to-last movie Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy did together, and their last pure comedy. Hepburn is the head of a TV research department that fears it may be replaced by Tracy's huge new computer. It doesn't help that Hepburn's boyfriend (Gig Young) and her best friend (Joan Blondell) both think Tracy's interested in her...and they may be right...

This look at romance in the workplace and how machinery can never really replace human talents still surprisingly resonates today, with only the fashions and the enormous, room-claiming computer itself dating it. Not Hepburn and Tracy's best comedy, but really cute if you ever run across it, and a blast for fans.

No comments: