Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spring Greenery

I slept in this morning, then read The Drackenburg Adventure and did my journal and An Artist's Way in bed. When I finally got up, I switched on Brunch With the Beatles. The album in the spotlight today, The Beatles (generally known as The White Album), is a favorite of mine. The big hits were George's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," John's "Revolution," and Paul's driving "Helter Skelter." The boys were beginning to fracture as they did this album, and some of the fracas found its way into the music, including "The Continuing Story of Buffalo Bill," "Green Tangerine" (John's response to people looking for meaning in their lyrics), George indulging his sweet tooth in "Savoy Truffle," Paul taking over an angry Ringo's drumming duties for "Back In the U.S.S.R," and the ultimate rock "Birthday" song.

I made Pear-Honey Pancakes for breakfast, then called Mom. She'd just finished her breakfast and was about to spend a nice day in Cape May. I told her that, thanks to my trip to Haddonfield, my new purchases, and my less-stressful schedule, I am feeling a bit better. Mom was also in a good mood; she told me that my sister Rose is trying to get her lawyer certificate, so she can become a junior partner in the firm she's working for right now. My brother's girlfriend visited him in South Carolina while he's on leave. Keefe and Vicki are so sweet on each other, they're giving the entire family cavities. ; )

Spent the rest of the early afternoon changing the American Girl dolls into less fancy spring clothes and reorganizing their wardrobe. I moved the Sailor Moon dolls' things into the last milk crate I took out of the bedroom and switched the American Girls' winter clothing to the gray container. Samantha's now in her nautical-themed Middy Dress, brass whistle, black stockings, and Springfield Collection black flats. Jessa's going casual in the tie-dyed T-shirt from 1996 Earth Day Outfit, the cargo khakis from the 1999 Drawstring Cargoes and Plaid Shirt outfit, and the sandals from Molly's bathing suit. Molly's showing off her new purple pleated Jitterbug Dress from the American Girl Place Revues. Felicity stayed in her pink Birthday Pinner Gown. I don't really have much else for her. Her things are still fairly expensive on eBay.

Had a very quick leftovers lunch and headed to work around quarter of 2. Work was very busy when I got in, despite the utterly gorgeous weather. It was a little chilly when I poked my head out during the Beatles show, but by 2PM, it was sunny and a little windy, but nothing like yesterday. People were either buying beginning-of-the-month orders, food for barbecues, or gearing up for the big Devils-Flyers showdown at 3PM.

I got to see a little of the end of the second quarter during my break. The Devils were winning then, 1-0. The Flyers must have had a heck of a second half. When my relief came in and I got my eggs and tortillas and went to the back room to get my bike, they were in overtime. I saw one of the Flyers get a goal that seemed to win the game...and promptly screamed my head off. I brought a stock boy running in, and he did his own screaming. We screamed even louder when we discovered it had been kicked in and the goal was removed.

I had eggs to get home; I couldn't stay any longer. I rode home, enjoying the lovely weather. I heard someone yelling as I rounded the corner of Goff and Kendall Avenue; I figured it was about the game, but I couldn't tell if it was good or bad.

The weather was too perfect for my original plans of making fish at home. I went for a walk to WaWa for a hoagie instead. It's so green outside. The iris are already blooming; the lilacs are about done. Many bushes are blooming profusely, too. The leaves on the trees are already big and full and fat. Fuzzy season seems to be winding down here. I haven't seen nearly as many seed pods in the last few days as I have the past month. There were tons of people out and about, enjoying the weather. Kids played in backyards; adults went for jogs or power walks. One enterprising fellow was selling porcelain dolls on the White Horse Pike, next to the Gulf Gas Station. (I didn't buy any. I'm trying to clear out my porcelain dolls, not buy more.) A family on Manor was either moving into their home or moving out; I saw a half-full U-Haul. I do wish they hadn't been tossing that poor huge teddy bear around and abusing him. They were young adults and college-age kids, and they were being awfully noisy.

(And yes, that scream was a good scream. The Flyers finally made a legit score and won more than 4 minutes into overtime, 4-3.)

No comments: