Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Turbo-Charged Spring Cleaning

Started out today's chores with a run to the laundromat. It was a beautiful day, very windy but not nearly as cold. People must have decided to enjoy the nice weather while they can. I saw a few men who were in and out and one very confused woman asking for bigger washers (you can't get much bigger than the front-loading ones), but other than that, it wasn't busy.

There was a big red and white box waiting on the front patio when I got in. My new Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner that I bought on Amazon last week had arrived! My old Hoover stick vacuum cleaner turned ten years old in February. First of all, it no longer picks up dirt very well. Second, my apartment in Wildwood only had wall-to-wall carpeting in the living room and bedroom, not to mention it was a great deal smaller than my current digs. The kitchen and bathroom in Wildwood had linoleum floors. Here, the only rooms that aren't carpeted are the bathroom and the rectangle of linoleum that separates the living room and the bedroom. I needed something that worked better on carpeting.

It took me a few minutes to put the new vacuum cleaner together. It's a bagless canister model, larger than the old one but not as big as some fancier machines. It also came with a few attachments, necessary with all the nooks and crannies in this place. I can't believe how well it picks up dirt! This baby has amazing suction. It takes me months to get a full canister with the Hoover. The Dirt Devil had a full canister after just running it in the kitchen and the music area of the living room! I actually had to unload the canister after every room, it picked up so much debris.

In fact, it did it's job a little too well. There were fibers fraying on the carpet in my bedroom and the music room. The Dirt Devil ate both of them...and got a roller ache for doing so. I had to spend a good ten minutes prying the fibers off the roller in my bedroom. I think all of my hair may have gunked it up, too. Unlike the Hoover, it actually picked up most of the hair around the apartment. I can't help it; I have thick hair.

I just barely had enough time to eat leftovers for lunch, change into my uniform, and hurry to work. As it turned out, work went pretty much the same as yesterday. It was quiet when I came in and dead as a doornail when I left. It did get busy later when the girl in charge of self-checkout had to leave early and the woman who had the express lane took over for her. Other than that, I was in and out, and there were no problems.

No comments: