Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Back In the Heat

Ugh. It's gotten hot again, into the lower 90s and climbing. Good thing I spent most of the day indoors, starting with a late morning run to the laundromat. I need to do the laundry on steamy days more often. There wasn't a soul in the room when I came in around quarter of 11. I saw one or two people go in and out, but by and large, it was just me, the book I was reading, and The View on TV interviewing gospel singers. I didn't have a lot of laundry, anyway. I was out just as The View was ending.

When I got in, I put away my laundry and finally ran National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets. Ben Gates (Nicholas Cage) is now a history lecturer. When a man (Ed Harris) claims he has papers with a coded message that was deciphered by Gates' ancestor directly after the Civil War, Gates is intrigued. Joined by his estranged parents (Jon Voight and Helen Mirren) and his former assistants (Justin Bartha, Diane Krueger), he searches in Paris and London and throughout the US for clues to solving this years-old mystery.

We're in the more of the same department. If you're a fan of The Da Vinci Code or the Indiana Jones series, or you enjoyed the first movie, you'll love this. It's as big, loud, and dumb as most of Jerry Bruckheimer's other movies, but it has a sense of humor about itself that some of his films tend to lack.

I'm not even sure why they wanted me to come into work today. I actually showed up a bit early. I thought they said 2 to 8:30. Nope, they meant 2:30 to 8, which makes more sense anyway. It was only busy during rush hour. The rest of the evening was so dead, I spent an hour dusting the chrome around the entrances and exits, and another half-hour before I left cleaning registers.

No comments: