Sunday, July 22, 2012

It's a Lovely Day for a Walk

And it was a very nice day when I finally rolled out of bed around quarter of 10. The clouds were breaking up, but it remained cooler and relatively dry, probably in the lower 80s. I just opted for running records while making Blackberry Chocolate Chip Pancakes for breakfast.

Called Mom after I finished my pancakes. She was just about to hit the shower. Her week had been relatively quiet. We discussed the explosion of wonderful fruits and vegetables at the farm market, along with my recent financial difficulties. She says to stockpile money; the winter will be hard because of the droughts in the Midwest. I don't know how she can know what the winter will be like when we're in the summer. I don't need much more, anyway. A few underthings, mainly. Mine are really worn out. Anything bigger than that can wait. No buying TVs this summer!

(Now I'm glad I bought that used Sylvania LCD model from Amazon.com last July. It works perfectly, is a good size for my apartment, looks and sounds great, and is easy to lift. I just adore it. Not only would I not be able to afford it now, but it's currently out of stock at Amazon - there weren't a lot left when I bought it.)

I got bored after doing the dishes and went for a walk. It was so gorgeous out. The sun was emerging from behind the clouds as I strolled down Goff Avenue to the boat launch. It was beautiful there, with little of the haze that's obscured the view for ages. I could see right to the Ben Franklin Bridge. There was even a young Hispanic woman there, chattering away in a cell phone while relaxing on the rough old bench that's missing a board.

I went back down towards the school and around to Manor Avenue. I was surprised I didn't see more people out and about. There was a dog walker with a Jack Russell Terrier trotting along on West Clinton. A couple of pre-teens rode their bikes or slumped in groups. I could hear the delighted screams and splashes of kids and their dad playing in an above-ground pool in a back yard.

When I got in, I just relaxed. I read Gone West. I went online to check my e-mail. Taking a suggestion from Mom, I made a blueberry smoothie for lunch with skim milk, yogurt, wheat germ, and honey and blueberries from the farm market. It was delicious. The honey and berries made it just sweet enough, and the wheat germ thickened it and added fiber.

I hurried off to work shortly afterwards. Work in and of itself wasn't a problem. It was busy until about 6, after which it quieted down so quickly, I spent the last half-hour doing returns. They asked me to come in on Tuesday, 2 to 8:30. I was really looking forward to having that day off to do the Haddon Township Library run, and my feet and legs are killing me...but I really need the money. I said yes.

When I got home, I had shrimp and leftover ratatouille for dinner while listening to most of my original cast album for The Apple Tree. I wanted to hear it after I saw Barbara Harris singing "Movie Star Gorgeous" in Broadway's Lost Treasures a few days ago. Actually, the best part of Apple Tree is the opening Adam & Eve segment. There's some really pretty ballads in this part, including two lovely ones for Harris, "Go to Sleep, Whatever You Are," and "What Makes Me Love Him?"

1 comment:

Linda said...

I think your mom was referring to foodstuffs. The price of produce, canned produce, and even meat will be going up due to the drought, down to basics like peanut butter. There was a big report on our local news about how the peanut crop was failing and the farmers were putting $$ into irrigation. All that will be passed on to the consumer. There's apparently going to be a shortage of corn, too, since so much of it is turned into ethanol and much of it is being harmed by the heat. This also means meat will cost more because the feedlots will need to pay more for feed for cattle and pigs, chicken and turkey.