Friday, May 03, 2013

Superman and the Rival Reporters

I was working on my journal this morning when I got a call from the Acme. They wanted me to come in at 12:30. Uh, no. I'd slept in and needed to go grocery shopping. Not to mention, the last couple of times I've come in early, it was dead as a doornail. I stood around doing nothing and wasting the company's and my time. I would go in a little early at 2PM. (Makes more sense than 2:30 to 9 anyway.)

Finally made it to the grocery store by quarter of noon. As it turned out, I was right. It wasn't that busy, no more so than it has been all week. I didn't have that big of an order, anyhow. I ran out of laundry detergent and dryer sheets on Monday; the small bottles of Acme's generic laundry detergent was on a good sale, and they have a box of 40 dryer sheets for a dollar. Chicken breasts were on a really good sale separate from the 4 meats for 19.99 promotion (which I never take part in - all that meat wouldn't fit in my freezer). Many Post and Quaker cereals were $1.88. Alas, not Oatmeal Squares this time; I went with Life instead. Restocked brown sugar and fruit concentrate.

After I got in, I had just enough time to run a Lois & Clark episode while having tortilla-crusted salmon and melon slices from the Acme and the last of the spinach and cherry tomatoes for lunch. In the first season episode "The Rival," Perry White is  hot under the collar because a rival newspaper keeps scooping the Daily Planet. Lois is upset that their top reporter is Linda King, a former friend who is now her main competition, for men and for stories. While Lois fumes over Linda constantly snatching stories from her, Clark tries to figure out how King gets to the stories first...and how to stop Linda's boss from wrecking even more havoc in the name of news.

Once again, I probably could have gone in at the original time and been fine. We were off-and-on steady all night, and only really busy during rush hour. Other than some annoying customers common for this time of the month, there were no major problems, and I was in and out.

My schedule for next week isn't bad, and in fact, is much better than what I was getting at this time last year. Two late days (Monday and Wednesday), one rather surprisingly early day on Sunday. Otherwise, nothing too horrible, and Tuesday and Saturday off again. And I picked up extra hours tomorrow, 1-7, which is no big deal either. I'll still get all my errands in.

No comments: