Wednesday, May 08, 2013

The To-Do Lists

When I opened my eyes around 8:30, it was pouring. I could hear it plink-plunk on my roof. I closed my eyes and didn't open them again until quarter after 10. When I did finally get up, I read the first Donna Parker novel, At Cherrydale. I have to admit, only a few chapters in, and I find myself very much relating to Donna and her best gal pal Ricky. Yeah, I used to wait until the end of the year to clear out my locker, too. My mom is also a stickler for a good breakfast, and while I never had problems with that (breakfast is my favorite meal of the day) and my brother will eat anything anytime, my sisters did occasionally complain. Mom's an excellent seamstress. She said something almost similar to what Donna's mother did about doing better than ready-to-wear clothes just a few weeks ago. She made us clothes for years, not to mention several beautiful quilts.

I didn't do much for the rest of the morning. I made the bed. I ran cartoons. I did the dishes. I ran two Huey Lewis and the News CDs (Fore! and Four Score and Several Chords Ago) and Bette Midler Sings the Rosemary Clooney Songbook while I did a project I've been putting off. My "Reading List" has gone so well, I decided to apply the same concept to the remaining media in my household. It took me an hour to list all the records I haven't listened to yet! The problems with records is, I buy them insanely cheap at yard sales and thrift shops, sometimes for literal pennies...and then I put them away without actually listening to them. There must be at least a hundred records on my list. There's twice as many records as anything else. They took up three and a half pages of a notebook...both sides. The CDs, cassettes, and DVDs took barely 2 and a half. I need to get crackin'.

Making the lists took so long, I barely had enough time to eat lunch, pack dinner, change into my uniform, and hurry off to work. As it turns out, it was barely worth the effort. Work was only busy during rush hour, otherwise off-and-on steady. I spent a lot of the night shelving candy.

There was another storm somewhere around 5:30. I could see the buckets of rain out the front lobby windows. Thankfully, by the time I got home, it was just damp and cloudy. It started to sprinkle a bit as I was walking in the door, but I don't think it's doing anything now.

No comments: