Friday, May 31, 2013

Too Hot For Spring

Given it got into the lower 90s today, it was probably just as well that I slept in for a lot of the morning. I spent breakfast and part of the early afternoon watching more Sailor Moon. It was past 1PM when I finally made my way to the Acme to do this week's grocery shopping.

I wasn't the only one who thought it was too warm for a lot of running around. Much to my surprise, given we're at the beginning of the weekend and the beginning of the month, the Acme was quiet when I arrived. I mainly needed fruit. Strawberries and raspberries are on sale. Picked up bananas and the inexpensive packs of cantaloupe and watermelon slices. Found chicken drumsticks for a decent price, and a pack of Purdue ground chicken that was on sale and had a manager's coupon. Needed to restock chick peas, peanut butter, canned peach slices, and sugar. Crisco oil was $2.99 - I got my usual canola.

When I got home, I put everything away, then took a look at my bank accounts. Moved some money into savings, then paid a few bills. Even with the bills and a few things for Josefina and Samantha, I'm doing much better financially than I was at this time last year. Of course, I've had twice as many hours and haven't bought any large furniture or classes.

Finished out the Sailor Moon 4th season as I had scrambled eggs with farm market asparagus and spinach for lunch. A wicked, vain queen named Nehelania who had once been in charge of the Dark Moon in the past blames Serena's mother for destroying her chance to be forever beautiful. She was the one who captured Helios the Pegasus and turned the Amazon Quartet against them. She and her henchman Zirconium lures the Sailor Soldiers into a trap, then snare Rini and her golden dream mirror. It'll take Serena and Rini learning a lesson in teamwork and mother-daughter bonding to defeat Nehelania and prove that anyone can have a dream...whether they're young or old, beautiful or not so much.

I also got the lovely outfit I won for Josefina on eBay in the mail. I like for all of my American Girls to have something nice to wear for the Christmas holidays. Josefina crosses Regency elegance with Mexican flair in her very pretty yellow dress and lace mantilla comb and those cute pantalettes. If the white box with the burgundy band the outfit came in is any indication, this is an older version from before Mattel bought Pleasant Company, though it doesn't look that different from the current one offered on AG's site. I like that her dress is yellow. She's the only American Girl historical doll with a yellow Christmas/holiday gown, and it makes her stand out.

Work was slightly busier than earlier in the day or yesterday, but still not overwhelming. It was steady during rush hour, on-and-off quiet the rest of the night. We'll see if things stay that way when the beginning of the month people really start coming in tomorrow.

Oh, and my schedule is much better than it was last week. No very late or early days this time! The latest I work is 8PM; the earliest is noon. I have Wednesday and Thursday off again, like I did two weeks ago. Good. I have a lot of preparation to do for Lauren's visit on June 11th, including a ton of cleaning.

No comments: