Friday, July 31, 2015

Adventures at the Moorestown Mall

Started a hot, sunny day with cereal, the last peach, and the second season of Sailor Moon. In the second season episode "A Charmed Life," Serena's hoping that a love potion will help restore her relationship with Darien. The Soldiers discover that there's a lot more to this shop than pretty trinkets when a jelly-like monster attacks them.

I headed out around 11. It was an absolutely gorgeous day. It remained sunny and very warm, but the humidity was gone, and there was a very nice breeze. I stopped quickly at WaWa in Oaklyn for money and a Blackberry Sparkling Ice, then headed for King's Highway. I wanted to pick up the 11:37 bus to the Moorestown Mall. I locked my bike at CVS and rushed across the street, making it with a minute to spare...then waited ten more minutes for it to show up. I forgot most of the local buses have to take a detour in Camden this week. They're demolishing a building near the Camden bus terminal.

The bus ride to the Moorestown Mall was perfectly fine. There was no traffic, and only four other people who went all the way. When I got off, I started at Boscov's, the closest store to the Mall bus stop. They were very busy with people taking advantage of big summer sales. I looked at shoes and blouses, but I was mainly there for work pants. I tend to wear them out quickly riding the bikes to work almost every day, especially the area around my thighs. It took me a while, but I finally found a decent pair of Sag Harbor khakis for $21.

My next stops weren't as fruitful. I did see Sailor Moon Season 2, Vol. 1 at FYE, but it was $39.99. Amazon has it for cheaper. Didn't see it at Barnes & Noble at all. I did end up getting a new journal (I'm half-way through the current one) and a hardback copy of the newest Diane Mott Davidson story The Whole Enchilada off the Bargain Priced shelves. Best Buy had the Sailor Moon set, but only on Blu-Ray.

By the time I got out of Best Buy, it was past 2 PM...and way past time for lunch. I ate at the Corner Cafe and Bakery again. This time, I had a half of a turkey club pannini, a mixed greens salad with very peppery vinaigrette dressing, and a black currant iced tea. The sandwich was pretty good, but that dressing was waaayyy too spicy! My eyes were watering when I finished.

Hiked across the mall parking lot to Sears after lunch. I looked at their Lands End clothes, but I just ended up getting my new sandals. They're leather I Love Comfort strap sandals, good and thick, with an adjustable strap on the toes. While they lack the elastic on my old Grasshoppers sandals, they're also made of better material with a thicker sole, and hopefully will last longer.

After a brief look at Play*Trade, I ended up across the way at Payless Shoes. The last time I bought sneakers there, I ended up turning my ankle in them and spending the next two months out of work. They were also a cheap-no-name brand that were worn-out badly by that point anyway. The pair I bought today were Champion sneakers. They were $19.99, still fairly cheap, but not too badly made for a sneaker from Payless. They're also a little narrow, but they were the best I could find that I could afford.

I took brief peeks at Hallmark and the toy store, but I was really getting tired. I needed to sit down and get some liquid refreshment. I settled for a water ice at Rita's. Thankfully, unlike in February, the line was more manageable. I was able to get my regular coconut cream and settle down in the dining court fairly quickly.

The dining court looks much better than it did when Lauren and I visited the Mall last month. There's now modern, simple tables and chairs. Islands with benches and plugs for various devices replace tables in the center of the room. (Unfortunately, they didn't seem to be able to do anything about the skylights. It gets beastly hot in the center of the food court, thanks to the overhead glass ceilings.) There's a lounge area with soft recliners and tables in the main entrance near the movie theater. They'll probably look even better once more stores start moving in - at this writing, it's still Subway, Saladworks, and Charley's.

I considered hiking to Macy's or taking another look at FYE, but I just wasn't up for it. I opted to catch the 4:07 back to Audubon. This one took a little longer, thanks to the beginning of rush hour traffic. The offices around East Gate and Cherry Hill were especially bad. I didn't make it in until nearly 5 PM.

Made a brief stop at the lovely little Italian bakery on King's Highway for a cupcake treat and a small loaf of fresh Italian bread before going to CVS and getting my bike. I went straight home after that. I was tired. It was still hot, if not humid. I did quite a bit of hiking today.

(At the very least, I got everything I needed except for new luggage. That and Sailor Moon will have to wait for better paychecks next month.)

Ended up spending the rest of the night looking over old journals and watching That's Entertainment III while eating leftover Turkey Pasta Veggie Salad for dinner. Songs that were cut from or previously unused, as well as some behind-the-scenes footage, are the thing in the third and final movie focusing on the heyday of the MGM musical. Actually, my favorite part of this one, besides some of the cut songs, is the opening. Gene Kelly explains the early talkie musicals and their demise well before YouTube, TCM, and the Warner Archives gave many of them a fresh hearing.

No comments: