Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Collegiate...Maybe

First of all, two musical box sets coming out in the next few months may be worth my investment. Criterion's usual assortment of oddities, indie flicks, and foreign films is usually not of much interest to me (though they did cover Dazed and Confused), but this is something I've hoped to see since I got into musicals in high school. Four early talkie musicals made by director Ernest Lubitsch, famous for his witty comedies, are making their debuts not only on DVD, but on any format. I've read about One Hour With You, The Smiling Lieutenant, Monte Carlo, and the Academy-Award-nominated and much-praised The Love Parade in many books on movie musicals, but I've never seen any of them.

The newest Classic Musicals From the Dream Factory boxed set from Warners has no less than six musicals I saw on TCM and loved but wasn't able to tape - the adorable Jane Powell vehicle Two Weeks With Love, the underrated Arabian Nights tale Kismet, the "biography" of operetta composer Sigmund Rombert Deep In My Heart, the two previously unreleased on DVD Broadway Melody films, and another classic Eleanor Powell vehicle I actually did tape and have wanted on DVD for years, Born To Dance. And it'll be coming out on April 8th, too - a perfect birthday present!

The rest of the day didn't go as well. In addition to exploring Amazon, I looked up Rowan University's Graduate Library Sciences program. I don't know how I'm going to do this. They want test scores from the last five years. I haven't been to college since I graduated in January 2002! Where will I get two letters of recommendation? I barely know anyone! I'll need a certificate AND regular classes to become a School Librarian, which means I'll need twice as many classes, and Rowan isn't that close-by. Why, oh WHY didn't I take something practical in college, like teaching or house-painting or something? Reading about all those requirements makes me very nervous. I don't know if it'll work, but there really isn't much else I could do. I don't have many skills. I write, I read, I edit, and I organize. That's it. That's all. I do nothing else.

Maybe I should try the writing courses instead, but I see even less I could do with that. I'd make a terrible journalist. I'm not Lois Lane. I don't have the guts.

Work was a pain. One of the teen boys hurt his finger at school, possibly broke it, and thus he was not to be on the register. They ended up begging everyone, including me, to take over his shift. I only stayed an extra half-hour. I hadn't brought food beyond an apple or any money for dinner.

This really annoys me. I walked into the Acme two years ago with a bloody, badly bruised, VERY badly sprained knee and a twisted thumb after falling off my bike. I still worked. I got the knee cleaned up, strapped on wrist and knee braces, and did my damn job for seven and a half-hours. I worked when I sprained my knee again the day after the Fourth of July last year. One woman worked for months with back so bad she had to walk with a cane (she finally left on disability around mid-October). The kid should have had a brace or called out of work until he found out what was really wrong.

1 comment:

Tina said...

April 8th is your birthday?